Discuss changed old sockets I noticed one of them had voltage on even with mains off in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tonyboy

DIY
Reaction score
Hello All and happy new year.

Over the holiay I have changed all of my old sockets to some nice new ones and added a couple with usb sockets for good measure. I am very picky to ensure I isolate any circuit I am working on and I had one last socket to do on the first floor which was a double.
I checked it with a plug in tester no voltage present and then with the cover removed checked with my multi meter.

It is part of a ring so it has one twin and earth in and one out to the rest of the ring. Just as a double check I tested the l/n and found 90 volts ac, I checked the other l/n and it had 130 v a/c. I isolated the other socket circuit breaker MCB and it was still there, I then isolated the heater MCB, the light circuits x 2 and the cooker mcb as well as the immersion MCB. With this in mind I wondered if the circuit was comprimised by picking up something from another circuit or if there was a fault somewhere in the rest of the property. I shut off the main switch so the whole house was off and it was still there.

I then went to the solar cabinet and turned off the solar pv array and when I checked it the voltage had gone.

The pv is not connected in any way to the house electrics it runs from the roof array and into the inverter. The output of the inverter supplies only solar sockets in the house and at no point are they combined/joined or run together. How is it possible to get this voltage on a circuit that is not supplied from the inverter and for it not to show up on any of the other sockets or cables to or from them in the rest of the house?

I know the pv arrays can have a floating voltage that is due to the way they produce electricity and that the earthing arrangement is there to dissipate this voltage to earth but I am at a loss as to how this can be present on a ring socket that is not connected to the solar system.
I have tested all of the sockets in the property and it is only this one that has any volatage on. There is a single 4mm cable that runs from the roof down into the same room from the roof but the socket in question is fed from the floor up to the box and is not adjacent to or in line with the 4mm solar cabling.

If anyone is able to shed any light on the reason that this may be happening, I would be glad to hear your answers and if anyone else has had this experience then I would love to know if you found out why it happened. The socket functions correctly and when the plug in tester is switched on it does not show any fault.

As ever, many thanks in advance.

Regards

Tonyboy

DIY answer to a DIY question: you tested L/N and got 130V. If you plug in a lamp, does it light up? If not, what current are you getting across that L/N (try AC and DC)? Not sure what your findings would prove though.

Hello Ric2013, MJPD29 and westward 10.

I have a multimeter that I tested the voltage with and before I open the socket up I use a plug in tester to check the socket is wired correctly and is not showing any faults.
I have not tried to test the volatge with a bulb or any other device so far but I found that when the solar array was isolated there was no volatge on either of the l or N. This was only after turning off all of the power in the home via the main switch in the CU.
My assumption is therefore that there is some form of incuced voltage being applied from the solar array. The strange thing is that this does not appear on any other socket. My DVR for the security cameras is plugged in to
the same floors sockets and the unit is in the same room as the socket that is an issue. MY nest step is going to be removing the supply from the DVR to see if it is something feeding back via the power cables to the cameras and the DVR box.
I have had a couple of the cameras play up when the sun is out and producing a lot of power to my system so I think there is something to be said for isolating the camera system next.
I really love puzzle solving so I will work my way through the nest step with the DVR and if this proves to be the source I will report back.

Regards

Tonyboy

Reply to changed old sockets I noticed one of them had voltage on even with mains off in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net