Discuss Kitchen rewire - old ring main - new radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jay92191

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

Last year I had some electrical work completed in my house (New CU, SWA for garage, downlights)

I informed the electrician that I will be renovating the kitching at some point so he ran a new kitchen radial circuit for sockets and hob and oven circuit. These are on seperate RCBOs, which are currently switched off pending the kitchen refurb.

At the moment, the whole house is on one ring main for up and down sockets.

My question is, when it comes to getting the kitchen done and whoever the electrician is that does the kitchen wiring, what will happen to the kitchen part of the old ring main? Surely disconnecting this will cause an issue for the rest of the house?

Currently the sockets are lower down and new sockets will need to be chased in.

Cheers,
Jay

I’m not sure I would run a radial for kitchen sockets unless it’s in 4mm or greater , the old ring will need to be connected to reform the broken ring or changed into 16 or 20 amp radial circuit if it’s in 2.5 cable.
we call ring main a ring final now !

Ah ok thank you. The new kitchen radial is 4mm.

It was more that I was wondering what will happen to the existing ring main if it’s not going to be used in the kitchen.

If you are having the kitchen re-fitted then running a new/modified ring final for just the kitchen may be possible, ideally the upstairs and downstairs should be on separate ring finals to just help in not the whole house going off if there is a fault.

The existing ring final will be 're-closed' by connecting the cut ends together in the kitchen.

The existing ring final will be 're-closed' by connecting the cut ends together in the kitchen.
Thanks. This is what I thought may be the case. Where would those connected ends sit? Surely they can’t just be plastered over? I don’t really want loads of blank plates.

Thanks. This is what I thought may be the case. Where would those connected ends sit? Surely they can’t just be plastered over? I don’t really want loads of blank plates.

It could be a junction box above the ceiling or below the floor. But it needs to be a specific type if it is to be inaccessible. Your electrician will know what sort to use.

Hello,

Last year I had some electrical work completed in my house (New CU, SWA for garage, downlights)

I informed the electrician that I will be renovating the kitching at some point so he ran a new kitchen radial circuit for sockets and hob and oven circuit. These are on seperate RCBOs, which are currently switched off pending the kitchen refurb.

At the moment, the whole house is on one ring main for up and down sockets.

My question is, when it comes to getting the kitchen done and whoever the electrician is that does the kitchen wiring, what will happen to the kitchen part of the old ring main? Surely disconnecting this will cause an issue for the rest of the house?

Currently the sockets are lower down and new sockets to will need to be chased in.

Cheers,
Jay
Without seeing it, who knows? Every job is different and when you plan for the new kitchen a suitably qualified electrician should be able to advise on site, in preparation for the installation.
It is a well known fact, in the domestic trade, that some of the worst and most dangerous work is carried out on kitchen refits, so make sure you employ someone suitable to do the work rather than trust a 'kitchen fitter' to sort you a pristine new kitchen with the electrics well short of required standards and a real mess being made of existing circuits.
Maybe have a word with the fella who installed the CU and new cables, for starters.

Last edited:

Reply to Kitchen rewire - old ring main - new radial in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net