Discuss House rewire or not to take the job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been asked to change cu from old fuse board which has 6 fuses. Only 4 fuses are used. The first fuse feeds cooker circuit.
This is not used only wiring to kitchen box. The customer has no electrical cooker.
The second fuse 30 A feeds connection box. All the socks in the house come to this junction box under floor board in the bath
Room.
The 3rd fuse also I assume goes to same point. The doc conductor is cut off or non existent.I have tested this for r1 and rn and there is no continuity.
Cpc main conductor is 10mm.
Fuse 3 feeds upstairs lights
Fuse 4 feeds down stair lights.
Fuse 5 and 6 Not used.
Should I recommend complete rewire or put new cu divide the sockets circuits 20 A rcbos . The customer can't pay for full rewire.
What should I do. Refuse the job as I don't think it is safe. I have not looked under floor board because he has tiles glued to floor board and then vinyl floor on top.
Your response will be appreciated
Kind regards
Manjit

First consideration for rewire is IR readings and visual inspection of the cable, if it is PVC, good IR, and no evidence of rodents, etc, then you can safely reuse it subject to circuits being up to modern specifications.

If the RFC has a break you can't find without unfeasible amounts of effort / redecorating damage then then as you say, either split it to two 20A radials or essentially make it a 20A "spider" that has some of the RFC end-end connectivity but can't be overloaded due to the OCPD selection. Most likely for open RFC is at an accessory that has been DIY changed, but part of your work might be a refresh of all switches/sockets (certainly any with signs of damage, poor readings, or sickly feeling switches) so you get a chance to do that anyway.

Most likely gotcha for the lights with RCD/RCBO protection is borrowed neutral, but some more testing would reveal that.

Less obvious catch is lack of CPC (or not connected up) which might merit a rewire or might force you in to the options in BPG #1 CU change as least-worst solution.

Cooker circuit should ideally be made usable and safe, as likely in the future they might need an electric oven/cooker and it would be there. Again, IR check and end of circuit PFC/PSCC to confirm all is safe should a cooker be attached.

Main earth of 10mm might be an issue as probably should be 16mm, might be easy to fix (if TT earth then adequate).

Others on here have more experience and can offer better advice I'm sure!

Sorry about the mistake it is the cpc conductor that is missing. Fuse 2 has 2 2.5 mms twin and earth both sides are connected to the same fuse. The live and neutral are correct. But 1 twin and earth has no cpc conductor. I don't want to put junction box under bath room floor board and the wife are not long to reach the fuse board of the new cu if I change it. The light is 1.5 mm. The cooker wire is 6mm which is not used.
what I think is either put new junction box and separate the sockets with 3 mins 1 for kitchen,1 for upstairs and 3 for down Stair sockets. I don't known what the contactor who wire has done until I can get to this junction box. Only then I can what is done.
Kind regards
Manjit

I'm sorry but I have no idea what you are trying to say and I have read your post several times. Are you a qualified electrician and can you self certify.

Yes I am qualified electrician. I think I have a problem with my fire kindle which changes text if I don't check.
the customer has 2 2.5 mm twin and earth wires going to fuse 2. 2 red and 2 black. One 2.5mm has cpc going to earth terminal. The 2nd 2.5mm has the cpc conductor cut off. The customer says there is a junction box under the floor board. This is where all the socket wires go into and how they are connected. I don't know until I get to this junction box and see how they are connected. All together there are 8 double sockets. I put my mft tester on low ohms and there no continuity between red wires. Also no continuity between blacks wires.
so it is not a ring circuit. The is only 1 cpc conductor. Where the other is cut off i don't known.
This job was not done by electrician as I see it I have some photos which I will post. My problem is do I take this job of not.
Kind regards
manjit

You need to tell the client some investigation is required to verify this circuit. You say the other cpc is cut off is this not at the consumer unit as you say only one is connected.

Hello,
The picture of the board and ring main for the socket. looking at the state of things it looks bad. No cpc 2nd wire
20240215_133414.jpg
20240215_123026.jpg
20240215_123026.jpg

That’s buried in the wall?

I’m guessing 70’s or 80’s build… so there should be cpcs in every cable, even the lights.

On the cable where there is no cpc, is it just cut off short, or not there at all….

Agree with Westy, looks derelict.

You could, if they don’t want a huge expense, is to rewire in pvc trunking on the surface. Looks crap, but it’s a possibility for a temporary solution.

A full rewire includes a lot more with making good afterwards

Hmm too much guess work for me!, it doesnt look a good start from first impressions

For me, Id be quoting for a full EICR to begin with and then at least you will have a remedial list to price from and shouldnt get any major surprises later down the road

Then if you dont fancy it after that price it high

Its down to the budget and your experience level - If they cannot pay you cannot work, If you dont know whats safest you shouldn't work - If you are in doubt an EICR should be undertaken first (regardless of their ability to afford it - its your name on the final product - due diligence etc) IR tests do NOT vouchsafe a cable and its JB's - they only cover a very limited set of issues, and its only on the day you test - it isn't a guarantee going foreword - safety going foreword is an educated guess, and is based on many factors within your skillset - which, if you have to ask, you may not be up to, (no offence - you are at the level you are at - we all are) judging the best way foreword should be undertaken by someone who can take all the tests and the installation as a whole into account - as I said - if you are asking you may be unsuitable to safely judge (one day you will be, perhaps just not today) When I was in your position some years ago I would have either hired my old boss to undertake with me or I'd walk away due to my inability to offer the safest solution.

Reply to House rewire or not to take the job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net