Discuss Freezer in shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all, have a client who has a 2nd freezer in the garden shed. Supplied by a distribution circuit to the shed, and a 2w CCU with RCD main switch. She is asking whether it is possible to install an indicator light, that would come on if there was an RCD trip etc, and thus alert them that the power is off. Was thinking something along the lines of an emergency light, but am aware they have a limited battery life.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Fit a NC contactor with the coil operated by the shed consumer unit RCD circuits, have a light powered from the non RCD side of the supply (with appropriate protection) passing through the contactor, if the power fails the contactor will drop out and power the light.

Try suggesting a wireless thermometer so she knows the temp in freezer, when in the house.
A relay, powered from the same plug top fuse (5A) when it drops out, the contacts could switch an indicator or even a wireless door chime/ bell etc.

These are all fine ideas until she goes on holiday, then what?

Fit a power failure inducator that then activates a unit that rings her mobile phone. She can then get a flight home and reset it.... Job done... :)

Schedule of circuits

MCB #1 Lights
MCB #2 Dead animals 1
MCB #3 Dead animals 2
MCB #4 Air freshener circuit (non-RCD)

We regularly buy half a cow or sheep and power up the second freezer.

I provide myself with enormous eye watering entertainment by relabelling my wifes carefully packaged bags that say boring things like "brisket" and "loin" or "chops" with far more side spitting things like

"arse", "cock and ball", "brain", etc.

Makes me laugh thinking about it. Bit worrying though as kids just getting the hang of reading.

We regularly buy half a cow or sheep and power up the second freezer.

I provide myself with enormous eye watering entertainment by relabelling my wifes carefully packaged bags that say boring things like "brisket" and "loin" or "chops" with far more side spitting things like

"arse", "cock and ball", "brain", etc.

Makes me laugh thinking about it. Bit worrying though as kids just getting the hang of reading.
Please, please tell me I never ate arse in your house. PLEASE!!

Rear ¼ beast, ½ pig, full lamb plus 20 chickens was a hell of a lot to dispose of. Loaded the lot in to the back of the works pickup and took it to the top of the kilns.

The smell from the kiln exhaust was wonderful for a short while. Soon got shut of it though.

Even at 1350°C the bones survive, there were a few questions asked when they appeared on the discharge conveyors. Once through the crushers it didn’t matter.

Anyone need a body disposed of?

That very much reminded me of a project i took on years ago,for a mates dad,who had a mobile incinerator constructed for the disposal of full cattle carcasses at a Hunt kennels. Part of the project required me to jog up to Glossop in the Brimec and bring it back to base. When i got there,it appears it had failed part way through incinerating a full bullock....2 months previous...we loaded up and left a trail of maggots,hansel and gretel style,all the way back home...emptying it was lovely and i can smell that whilst i type this out now...:stooge_curly:

Reply to Freezer in shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net