Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

frequency

Discussion in 'PAT Testing Forum' started by ample current, Feb 27, 2012.

Discuss frequency in the PAT Testing Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. ample current

ample current Regular EF Member

Not sure of the frequency of formal visual and combined inspection of kettle, vacuum,washing machine etc in rented out flat, i dont think "used by the public" applies.
    would change of tennancy be enough?

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i'd go for every 2 years or change of tenancy.

3. MarkieSparkie

MarkieSparkie Guest

In my experience equipment in rental properties tend to be abused, so I would suggest initially:
    6 months FVI and 12 months CIT for hand-held equipment (iron, hair drier, etc).
    12 months FVI and 24 months CIT for portable equipment (kettle, vacuum cleaner, etc).
    24 months FVI and 48 months CIT for stationary equipment (washing machine, fridge/freezer, etc)
    and change of occupancy.
    Increase frequency of future I&T if maintenance or abuse require it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  4. Megahertz

Megahertz Guest

If you rent out property you will need to inform your insurance company, and they will put you on a special 'letting' policy. Most of these normally require appliances to be PAT Tested every 12 months, or every change of tenant, whichever is sooner. I've known of a few landlords who haven't read the small print until it was too late....

5. i=p/u

i=p/u Electrician's Arms

anybody who asks me il be saying every twelve months as all equipment is different in a building, is this what you do?

6. ruston

ruston Forum Mentor

Really it is your call, the frequencies are just a guide, what may apply to one property could be totally different from another. I would go with Markie and asses the situation as you see it, especially as the equipment ages.It is up to the inspector to set the interval of frequency for testing.

7. i=p/u

i=p/u Electrician's Arms

well most people who have mentioned seem to lean on the every year thing of pat testing so il go with flow... have tester , test results schedules now just need insurance... and im off @ £79 for first 20 items £2 a item their after....

and yes nothing is black and white so know1 can be blamed

8. oldtimer

oldtimer Electrician's Arms

The thing is on a big job there is equipment that can be done every 2-3 years and the a visual every 12 month then some tested every year and as I charge a set price for so many items a letting agent or a landlord dont want it broken up so the compromise will be every 12 months that they let lapse for 3-6 months in other words 2 PAT tests within 3 years.

I do get peeeeeeed off with the HSE who said we need to look at the intervals of certain equipment in certain environments but thats it we are no better off as there is nothing definitive . I just wish they would come out and say something like all rentals every 18 months all HMOs every 9-12 months thats it instead of saying well you need to get it tested but see what you think yourself.