Discuss Fused industrial plugs in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Inteificio

Hi,

Am wanting to remove all bs1363 plugs from the factory, they are not suitable for the oompa loompas we employ.

The problem is I can't find an alternative.

I need a heavy duty plug, that has a fuse built in.

Something like a Harting Han-E but fused.

The alternative is an in-line fuse in the cable, but don't know any indestructible ones either.

Has anyone come across a solution to this issue?

p.s. The final straw was this morning. Some numpty had stood on a plug bending the pins in. They then hammered it in to a socket. When removing from the socket the whole thing came apart. So they just left it live wires hanging out and walked off.

Talking about numpties, factory locker area, installed a new single gang socket to replace a cracked one, within 2 days it had been nicked leaving the live wires hanging out of the backbox. As for your area, not aware of an indestructible fused plug but would think about coming at the problem from another direction, e.g. how to remove the need for a plug, or go 110V etc

separate radial to each outlet. fuses in board.

If only it was so simple. I’d guess you like I used to spend a lot of time trying to pre-empt the numpties.

One thing I did learn, the numpties are far more ingenious that I was at finding ways to wreck things.

Seems nothing is idiot proof today the idiots are getting better. Had a lad ask to borrow a crowbar last week as he had a 32A comando plug stuck in the socket, the chump hadent turned it off.
Now I know the reason they keep getting pulled off the wall!!!!

Change the wall sockets for all in one outlets where you have O/L protection and or RCD protection at the socket point - reduces the risk that numpties inherently provide us with. As the workforce abuse the plugs then you want to keep the protection upstream of them ..hence my suggestion.

Check the link for an example but shop around for a good price as they are not a cheap option but do a cracking job of keeping the workforce safe.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/industrial-sockets/0491282/

They have a cheap version of those on ebay. I was tempted to use one awhile ago in my mates shed but decided against it. they might not be up to the job although they look the part.

They are manufactured in the UK, but I have never heard of the brand before'

$_57.jpg

No earth leakage or O/L protection there so assume just for isolation purposes but pretty pointless otherwise as you cannot even lock it off..hence its cheap - looks like 63amp 4pole isolator and bet its not early make late break on N either.

Look,
EAWR, & HASAWA are on your side, just prove the muppets are muppets and get them sacked, then get their actions written into the company employee handbook (before they are sacked if needed) for committing acts that endanger others and are criminal, job done.
This will put the other muppets off doing this.
IF, they decide to do it, then they will be sacked also.
Sorted.
People that do such things do not deserve to be employed as they are deliberately risking the lives of others, thus they should not be working.

Dark, I use those in the factory too. They were an easy choice to replace standard commandos. Unfortunately different devices need different levels of protection. If the device uses an internal fuse then they are on those sockets. The devices that use the fuse in the plug are the ones I need help with.
I am moving away from those sockets you showed for a couple of reasons.
1: If the RCD goes I do not want them to reset it without help.
2: They smash easy.
Those I am replacing with the harting Han-e and the RCD MCB in a locked stainless panel next to it.

So the overload protection cannot be in the socket, it has to be attached to the device.

A fuse is O/L protection and S/C ..it dont provide personal protection..so either sack your idiots or fit some sort of protection upfront .... you cant protect any system from idiots trust me I design machine safety and its a minefield of H&S, when they risk losing their job they start respecting the equipment.

I forgot how specific you have to be here =-)

These circuits are all RCCD protected, slowly everything in the factory is being done.

I am doing this for the aforementioned OL/SC protection. Different items plugged in have different OL/SC requirements, so protection must remain with the device.

I could of course provide specific sockets for specific devices, but for obvious reasons don't want to go that route (SO SO much work).

We had one potential lethal mistake last week, just one so it's a good week.

Motor got removed from machine, machine unplugged. signs put all over machine not to use. All operators informed machine not safe, supervisors informed machine not safe to use.

Operators told to remove signs and use machine. Called engineers when it wouldn't start. It didn;t start as the now live motor cables were floating inside the machine.

Failure from everyone involved. The only person getting **** for it was the engineer who forgot to padlock. Serious mistake, but what about the person who ordered the signs removed?

I forgot how specific you have to be here =-)

These circuits are all RCCD protected, slowly everything in the factory is being done.

I am doing this for the aforementioned OL/SC protection. Different items plugged in have different OL/SC requirements, so protection must remain with the device.

I could of course provide specific sockets for specific devices, but for obvious reasons don't want to go that route (SO SO much work).

We had one potential lethal mistake last week, just one so it's a good week.

Motor got removed from machine, machine unplugged. signs put all over machine not to use. All operators informed machine not safe, supervisors informed machine not safe to use.

Operators told to remove signs and use machine. Called engineers when it wouldn't start. It didn;t start as the now live motor cables were floating inside the machine.

Failure from everyone involved. The only person getting **** for it was the engineer who forgot to padlock. Serious mistake, but what about the person who ordered the signs removed?
we dont bother with padlocks because they can disappear sometimes.

its much better to remove outgoing from isolator and connector strip ends then close isolator up and padlock.

then its idiot proof, (we then lock isolator on, our isolators interlock and there is no pin etc to get cover off with it switched on)

because of this we then take pic, the only way to connect machine back up is to either cut padlock off or use the key

Reply to Fused industrial plugs in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net