Search the forum,

Discuss Fused industrial plugs in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

The Engineer is solely responsible ... regardless of the employees ignorance this is a situation that should never have occured without the workforce deliberately over-riding lock off and reconnecting wires...if they did then the workforce become liable.

The engineer is responsible for his part. He is a new guy to the company, a mechanical eng who followed standard practise of his last site.
Serious mistake, but he is not the only one that should be reprimanded.
Engineering manager should have told him our site standard practises.
He should not have left a machine in a dangerous condition.
Instructions to try and activate a machine reported as dangerous should not have happened.

I was just making the point that on this site everything stops with the engineer for everything, it's only our fault most of the time ;-)

we dont bother with padlocks because they can disappear sometimes.

its much better to remove outgoing from isolator and connector strip ends then close isolator up and padlock.

then its idiot proof, (we then lock isolator on, our isolators interlock and there is no pin etc to get cover off with it switched on)

because of this we then take pic, the only way to connect machine back up is to either cut padlock off or use the key

Disciplinary action should take care of that.

How does anyone know a drive is isolated? The isolator should be locked in the OFF position. It is then obvious at a glance the drive is isolated.
As for being idiot proof, only an idiot would come up with a system like that.
(Incidentally, how do you padlock the isolator when the locks have gone missing?)

Who authorises cutting a lock off?

I was brought up in the chemical industry where incorrect isolation could be catastrophic.

I like the bs7671 procedure for isolation.
The only way I differ from my company procedure is I do not use padlocks with the spare key.
The key safe is not secured to suitable standards. If they want to live a circuit I've locked off they need to use bolt croppers. People tend to think twice before doing that.

In event of a really dangerous circuit I will lock it off AND link the outgoing wires. If the circuit is made live a few thousand amp SC in the isolator hints they should leave my stuff alone!

At least, IMO everything should be padlocked with a sign with a phone number on.

Lock off with multiple padlocks, yours, SAPs, engineers etc have had that in the past but if people are cutting them off then you're loosing a battle against Darwinism

As for sockets, if your employer has deep pockets lewden do their metal clad weather tight sockets which are fair robust...just damn expensive. Used a lot of their commando sockets as well but as mentioned all ready, people go to extraordinary lengths trying to pull them out when turned on (I've seen 'Gold card' sparks doing it as well)

As well as above you could try Canalis trunking systems they are well made and are fused at the plug and can have track up high or mounted on a wall.

Reply to Fused industrial plugs in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock