Discuss G24 Emergencgy PL downlighter 215mm cutout in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

overskilled

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Doing a bit of sub con reactive maintenance (usually not a problem - frequently just bulbs, tubes and starters) for a new prime contractor. Went out to site today (supermarket customer loo - operator has changed several times).
PL fitting, missing its bulb, Got up on the ladder to check the exact type and wattage....and discovered some "genius" in their infinite wisdom had decided when they removed the previous 215mm cutout downlight and replaced it with a 175mm cutout that they would use the ring from the 215 and just balance the 175 on the top without anything to secure it. (at first I thought someone had managed to shove the fixture partly into the void while trying to remove the lamp)
Noticed it was branded Newlec, so stupid me figured it shouldn't be difficult to get one (the correct size) to fit the hole...wrong......

closest they can get me is a 225mm, which isn't a problem in terms of ceiling modding (though not much more room to make the hole bigger) but the price is a bit hairy...£95+VAT
Also the supply is currently fitted with a downlighter plug (the flat plugs with 3 round pins on them that push together) and barely extends out of the ceiling (this job is becoming a PITA), coupled with various lumps of rockwool/fibreglass insulation randomly falling out of the void...Ideally I'd like to get something as close to plug n play as possible..

Downlight that was fitted is Newlec model number :NLCFD26E3 Also marked NE CFL 1x26W E3 DLGH

Control gear box is about 3 -4 wide, about 8-10 long, about 2-2.5 inches thick and polished metal

Tried Edmundsons and the local indy also, no joy. Seemingly can get them from China but ideally need something in under a week....

Any thoughts on a suitable alternative?

Tbh...considering telling the prime contractor to get a plasterer in to shrink the cutout hole...might the simplest and cheaper option.......
Not like its a low ceiling...2D fitting would have been a heck of a lot easier to maintain and maintained the integrity of the ceiling a heck of a lot better....
Plus why the heck does a customer loo need downlights?.....madness...

And...agreement is to get the ceiling sorted and refit the smaller light...but because they are based 100+miles away, they've asked me to sort a plasterer and bill them...pain in the rear tbh...

Reply to G24 Emergencgy PL downlighter 215mm cutout in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net