Discuss Gaming van help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’m currently fitting out a gaming van that will be rented out for parties. The van will have 10 TV’s & 10 games consoles as well as some led lighting etc. the van will be powered by plugging into the customers mains. The van will not need any power when not plugged in. I would be very grateful if someone could give me some pointers. I just want to make sure it’s safe. I don’t want anything fancy. Every van like this gets power using the same method, I’m just not sure what goes on between the van and the customers home. Thanks so much I’m advance.

Were you thinking just plug the van into a 13A socket?

10 tvs and 10 consoles will very likely overload a normal plug. Maybe split it into 5+5 or 3+3+4
(3 leads, plugged into 3 separate sockets)

The customers electrical installation may not have rcd protection, so you’ll need to have that, just in case… possibly a rcd adaptor or hard wired rcd plug top.

You might also need to think of distance between the house and where you’re parked… might be further than an off-the-shelf extension lead.

What about using a generator for the van?

Were you thinking just plug the van into a 13A socket?

10 tvs and 10 consoles will very likely overload a normal plug. Maybe split it into 5+5 or 3+3+4
(3 leads, plugged into 3 separate sockets)

The customers electrical installation may not have rcd protection, so you’ll need to have that, just in case… possibly a rcd adaptor or hard wired rcd plug top.

You might also need to think of distance between the house and where you’re parked… might be further than an off-the-shelf extension lead.

What about using a generator for the van?
Thanks very much for coming back to me on this. I am looking at the possibility of using a generator when access to the property is not possible. Yes, I am/was planning on plugging into a 13amp socket and that is because every single one I’ve seen does that. But I obviously won’t do it just because everyone else does. I’ll have a look into an rcd adaptor

It's incredibly unlikely that you'll overload a 13A outlet so I wouldn't worry too much about that. however an issue that you could come up against might be too many 'leaky' devices on one RCD - story short is that each bit of electronics 'leaks' some current to earth (by design) and even if each device was only 0.5mA a piece (usually more...), times twenty devices and you've got 10mA and that's before you know what else is going on inside the house. And cheaper electronics tend to be worse for this than others.

Apart from that, get a competent person to install as many double sockets as you need in trunking/conduit on maybe two 10A radial circuits, small 4way garage style consumer unit all fed from an exterior mounted 16A ceeform inlet. Use a fairly standard 16A ceeform extension lead made from H07 and then you'll almost certainly need a 13A to 16A adaptor for the house end.

Thanks so much for this. I haven’t got a clue so that was incredibly helpful and makes sense to me (mostly) thanks again

It's incredibly unlikely that you'll overload a 13A outlet so I wouldn't worry too much about that. however an issue that you could come up against might be too many 'leaky' devices on one RCD - story short is that each bit of electronics 'leaks' some current to earth (by design) and even if each device was only 0.5mA a piece (usually more...), times twenty devices and you've got 10mA and that's before you know what else is going on inside the house. And cheaper electronics tend to be worse for this than others.

Apart from that, get a competent person to install as many double sockets as you need in trunking/conduit on maybe two 10A radial circuits, small 4way garage style consumer unit all fed from an exterior mounted 16A ceeform inlet. Use a fairly standard 16A ceeform extension lead made from H07 and then you'll almost certainly need a 13A to 16A adaptor for the house end.
35853"]

[/QUOTE]

What’s the power consumption of a Xbox and tv.
X10?

Probably won’t blow a 13A fuse… but will there be lighting in the van as well? A 5G internet hub?
Air con?

What’s the power consumption of a Xbox and tv.
X10?

Probably won’t blow a 13A fuse… but will there be lighting in the van as well? A 5G internet hub?
Air con?
Thanks for the reply. 160 watts for the Xbox. 28 watts for the tv. Yes x 10z. There will be some led lighting. But mostly as features. I figured the van should be dark to enhance the experience. I would put air con in if it’s possible but I imagine that would definitely over load the socket? Maybe have a router but hoping to plug into the customers router.

So 188 Watts per station… 1880W if all running.
Ignoring the lights and any other devices….
Have a think about running say, a 1.5kW heater on the end of an extension lead…

It won’t blow the fuse, but I bet the plug will get a tad warm.

I’m not trying to put you off…. It sounds like a great idea, and there will be a market for it I’m sure.

So 188 Watts per station… 1880W if all running.
Ignoring the lights and any other devices….
Have a think about running say, a 1.5kW heater on the end of an extension lead…

It won’t blow the fuse, but I bet the plug will get a tad warm.

I’m not trying to put you off…. It sounds like a great idea, and there will be a market for it I’m sure.
Thanks again. I thought exactly the same about a heater. The van is fully insulated and id expect all the consoles to produce a good amount of heat so a bit of cooling would be good but might not be possible like you say. Many thanks for your input. This was the only bit I couldn’t get my head around so it’s really appreciated

Reply to Gaming van help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net