Discuss Garage consumer unit rcd trips out in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In post #9 you said you would get a spark in ............ then you started complicating matters by suggesting a variety of random changes ........... then others started to wade in ......................

Me thinks this went off track days ago...

well it doesnt help when people keep make none informative comments and stating what they would do with this fault .
what i would do is fix it. that's how i earn a crust. the ways and means need not concern you. all you need to know is that before a spark came it was broke. after he left, it worked.

Saying it works with pendants and not with fluorescents therefore it can't be the switch is incorrect. They are different types of load and different things happen when they are switched off.
Yes, I understand exactly what you're saying. But, this assumes all the information to hand is accurate :rolleyes: . Just having a cheeky sidebet.

Lets have a sweep stake on what the fault will be. In no particular order;

1. Faulty RCD 1/1
  2. Loose terminations 1/1
  3. IR fault 1/1
  4. Incorrect or faulty wiring 1/1
  5. Faulty switches 1/2
  6. Faulty fluorescents 1/1
  7. Wiring routed inappropriately 1/1
  8. Fault on an adjacent circuit 1/1
  9. None of the above 1/1
  10. OP is imagining things 1/1
  11. 'R' in the month 1/1
  12. J Corbyn's house, enough said 1/1
Rules;
  • OP can't vote
  • You can add your own suggested vote, which others can vote on
  • Voting closes at midnight tonight
  • Winner(s) receive 'Winners' thing
Placed my vote :)

• IF I'M RIGHT YOU ALL OWE ME £10

Last edited:
Yes, I understand exactly what you're saying. But, this assumes all the information to hand is accurate :rolleyes: . Just having a cheeky sidebet.

Just in case you think I was having a go... I kinda was, but not at you Wilko. More the insistence from the OP that it can't be the switches.

My bet is still on loose connections at some point in the circuit, possibly even some minor damage to a conductors insulation that's manifesting itself when the field collapses in the ballast.

I just hope we hear what the fault really is :)

Just in case you think I was having a go... I kinda was, but not at you Wilko. More the insistence from the OP that it can't be the switches.

My bet is still on loose connections at some point in the circuit, possibly even some minor damage to a conductors insulation that's manifesting itself when the field collapses in the ballast.

I just hope we hear what the fault really is :)

Too late for that now, place your bets. :D

Here's my vote... sorry, split decision :)

1. Faulty RCD 1/1
  2. Loose terminations 1/2
  3. IR fault 1/2
  4. Incorrect or faulty wiring 1/1
  5. Faulty switches 1/2
  6. Faulty fluorescents 1/1
  7. Wiring routed inappropriately 1/1
  8. Fault on an adjacent circuit 1/1
  9. None of the above 1/1
  10. OP is imagining things 1/1
  11. 'R' in the month 1/1
  12. J Corbyn's house, enough said 1/1

Edit:- Updated.. hope I've done it right :D

Last edited:
Sparkey has been. very nice chap.
Coming back later next week. Booked in for a few hours with test equipment. As was on the way home so wanted to see what the problem was.
So place your bets for next week.
i might be dead by then.

There is no such thing. Part P is not a qualification.
Agree, Karl you need to realise part P is a building regulation, and 17th edition qualification is an open book qualification, both of these "courses" are designed to enhance a qualified experienced Electrician's knowledge, they do not make the person sitting these courses an Electrician, it makes those people that think it does into a dangerous combination, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

i just done a 5 day course on how to cut with a scalpel. now i'm a qualified brain surgeon, but can only work on domestic customers. an additional course to work on bankers, solicitors, and estate agents is available at no extra cost.

Reply to Garage consumer unit rcd trips out in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net