Search the forum,

Discuss Garage & other external buildings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Personally I don't think there is enough info.

For example if it is a 4mm spur then what code could you reasonably give the installation? None in my book.

However if it is a 2.5mm spur with more than a double socket on the spur then it is a C2.

Personally I don't think there is enough info.

For example if it is a 4mm spur then what code could you reasonably give the installation? None in my book.

However if it is a 2.5mm spur with more than a double socket on the spur then it is a C2.
It’s a ring main into a remote garage,does it need an isolation switch for the garage & there are other 2.5mm radials supplying other buildings,from that point too.

Finished a Eicr,just your thoughts on this,the remote garage is supplied from the ring main of the house,other building are radials of this.
The supply enters from underground,& are pvc t&e,goes straight into a 2g power point,then to other points.
There is no main bonding required,thinking this needs isolation when entering the building,& other supplies protected accordingly.

C2 there won’t be a great load going on,so it should be fine,thanks for your help.

Forgive my ignorance but what warrants this to be a C2?
What reg number is it going against?

Have you been asked to rectify or provide a remedial quote because I do not understand why you do not just state the facts of what you have found in the Report.

This is a death trap either disconnect the supply to the garage or board it up to prevent use it is outwith the equipote ncial zone

This is a death trap either disconnect the supply to the garage or board it up to prevent use it is outwith the equipote ncial zone

From what the OP has said why is the supply to the garage a death trap? It's part of the ring circuit of the house. Yes it could have been done a lot better. The OP needs to find out what is protecting the two T&E cables going to the garage.

Sorry @cliffed I missed the size of the radials in your post. You state that they are going to 'other buildings' but what for? Could you put a FCU in so the 2.5mm will be ok? What is protecting the 2.5 radial cables? How are they routed to the other buildings?

From what the OP has said why is the supply to the garage a death trap? It's part of the ring circuit of the house. Yes it could have been done a lot better. The OP needs to find out what is protecting the two T&E cables going to the garage.

Sorry @cliffed I missed the size of the radials in your post. You state that they are going to 'other buildings' but what for? Could you put a FCU in so the 2.5mm will be ok? What is protecting the 2.5 radial cables? How are they routed to the other buildings?
Yea we can put spurs in to protect the other circuits.
Thanks for your guidance,I agree it could of been done better,the ring to the garage comes from the rcbo supplying the ring main to the house.
My concern was really an isolation point,looking & reading all replies ,I’m thinking of putting a switch spur on the incoming ring,then feeding the garage,then the remaining supplies off fcu’s.
The other radialsare serving power & lights in a couple of sheds.Isolation at those points will be 20 amp Dp.
The bug bear to me is the supply,& knowing the best way to actually comply to regs correctly.
Thanks

I’m thinking of putting a switch spur on the incoming ring,then feeding the garage,then the remaining supplies off fcu’s.

Will the customer be happy being limited to 13A for the garage and the 'other buildings'?
What are you going to do if the T&E cables that go to the garage are just buried in the ground without any protection? You need to know what is going on here before you can fix things.

Last edited:
Agree,but how do you know how they are installed without digging the patio up.
13 amps will have to do.

But what you are suggesting is to alter the circuit to the garage and the 'other buildings' when the cables to the garage may not comply with regs.
You are doing the changes and your name will be on the cert.
If the cables going to the garage are to regs then all is fine. If not then this will need sorting as well.

You are doing the changes

oh no, he's going to be gender whatever.

But what you are suggesting is to alter the circuit to the garage and the 'other buildings' when the cables to the garage may not comply with regs.
You are doing the changes and your name will be on the cert.
If the cables going to the garage are to regs then all is fine. If not then this will need sorting as well.
What else can you do,it’s not ideal at the moment,but it will be safer than before,noted on cert,there’s no way you can actually say yes or no to the cabling already installed.

What else can you do,it’s not ideal at the moment,but it will be safer than before,noted on cert,there’s no way you can actually say yes or no to the cabling already installed.
You can make a good guess by exposing a few feet of the cable run at each end, to see if the cable has been butchered in or done properly, but don't be too dissapointed at what you find.

Sorry,it’s remedial works,the client wants it to comply to latest regs.

As what @Pete999 says. Not wanting to sound harsh but without knowing if the cables comply you are not doing what you quoted above. Just do it properly mate.
You don't want someone down the line doing an EICR on the property and them coming on here saying "someone was meant to update this work but the cables to the garage and other buildings don't comply. What a muppet..."

Reply to Garage & other external buildings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock