Discuss Garage & other external buildings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Finished a Eicr,just your thoughts on this,the remote garage is supplied from the ring main of the house,other building are radials of this.
The supply enters from underground,& are pvc t&e,goes straight into a 2g power point,then to other points.
There is no main bonding required,thinking this needs isolation when entering the building,& other supplies protected accordingly.
Would you fit a small DB on the main in,or a complete no no,cause it’s a ring main.

.QUOTE="cliffed, post: 1372096, member: 11164"]Finished a Eicr, just your thoughts on this,the remote garage is supplied from the Ring Final of the house, other buildings are radials of this.
The supply enters from underground, & are pvc T&E, goes straight into a 2g power point, then to other points.
There is no main bonding required, thinking this needs isolation when entering the building &, other supplies protected accordingly.
Would you fit a small DB on the main in, or is this a complete no no, because it’s a Ring Final?[/QUOTE]
Personally I would tell your client that the work is the Dogs dodas, and suggest to him that its ripped out and installed properly. Waiting for the abuse to come my way. Corrected this for you makes it easier to understand.

Last edited:
Personally I would tell your client that the work is the Dogs dodas, and suggest to him that its ripped out and installed properly. Waiting for the abuse to come my way.

I would give it a C2, an unsatisfactory report and submit the EICR with my invoice ................... remedial work isn't part of the EICR unless you've been asked to fix as you go along...

the remote garage is supplied from the ring main of the house,other building are radials of this

Is the garage part of the house ring ( :) @Pete999 ) or it it radial? Your post is not clear as it sounds like only the 'other buildings' are radial and not the garage. That is why you put "& are pvc t&e". Plural.

The supply enters from underground,& are pvc t&e
Are the cables in trunking/conduit or just directly buried? What is protecting these cables from damage?

If the garage is on the ring, what is the distance of the cable run from the house? If there is a load of extra cable on one side of the ring it is going to make quite unbalanced if there are large loads at other points (e.g kitchen close to the CU)

.QUOTE="cliffed, post: 1372096, member: 11164"]Finished a Eicr, just your thoughts on this,the remote garage is supplied from the Ring Final of the house, other buildings are radials of this.
The supply enters from underground, & are pvc T&E, goes straight into a 2g power point, then to other points.
There is no main bonding required, thinking this needs isolation when entering the building &, other supplies protected accordingly.
Would you fit a small DB on the main in, or is this a complete no no, because it’s a Ring Final?
Personally I would tell your client that the work is the Dogs dodas, and suggest to him that its ripped out and installed properly. Waiting for the abuse to come my way. Corrected this for you makes it easier to understand.[/QUOTE]
Thanks,I might just do that.

If the garage is on the ring, what is the distance of the cable run from the house? If there is a load of extra cable on one side of the ring it is going to make quite unbalanced if there are large loads at other points (e.g kitchen close to the CU)
Yes it’s on the house ring,loading not too sure.

Is the garage part of the house ring ( :) @Pete999 ) or it it radial? Your post is not clear as it sounds like only the 'other buildings' are radial and not the garage. That is why you put "& are pvc t&e". Plural.

Are the cables in trunking/conduit or just directly buried? What is protecting these cables from damage?
Good question,I have no idea,the cables are coming from underground into the garage.

It’s the house ring main.

I do not understand why you need other peoples thoughts. If you are competent to carry out EICRs I don't see why any of these issues need clarification.

Or maybe where the ring main enters the garage,put a switch spur,then supply all other circuits of that switch spur

That would do it but the obvious thing to point out that then all the load is limited to 13A ................... will that be enough?

How did you code this issue on the EICR?

Reply to Garage & other external buildings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net