Discuss Garage switch stopped working after GFCI switch issue in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

stratus

DIY
Reaction score
I plugged a drill press directly into a GFCI outlet in the garage. Something blew up by the drill press switch.
Since then the GFCI outlet LED has not lit up. I tested it and no voltage is detected. I replaced the GFCI with another and it didn’t work either.

What’s worse, the garage door switch stopped working. It looks like the garage motor and light has no power.

Other outlets and light in the garage are still working and correctly shut off by the corresponding switch in the electrical panel box. The drill press also works.

Looking for any DIY advice before I call an electrician. Thank you!

I plugged a drill press directly into a GFCI outlet in the garage. Something blew up by the drill press switch.
Since then the GFCI outlet LED has not lit up. I tested it and no voltage is detected. I replaced the GFCI with another and it didn’t work either.

What’s worse, the garage door switch stopped working. It looks like the garage motor and light has no power.

Other outlets and light in the garage are still working and correctly shut off by the corresponding switch in the electrical panel box. The drill press also works.

Looking for any DIY advice before I call an electrician. Thank you!
If you replaced the GFCI receptacle did you somehow install the incoming power to the load side instead of the line side. If so it will not work. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Reply to Garage switch stopped working after GFCI switch issue in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net