Discuss gas bond not within 600mm2 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

goldie

Would you use a code 3 on condition report? gas pipe bonded in 10 mm2 about 1500mm Away from meter and after thd first "T". also what about light fittings with no back plate on ceiling rose which are mounted on wooden clad cieling (combustable). ta

no code for the gas bond. It can be further away if you check it up in the regs, something like as near as practicable

Not sure what sort of back plate / light fitting you mean, but wouldn't get too excited. There are millions of Wooden backed Wylex fuseboards still about in houses with meter tails in that are made of wood!

IMO.....

British Gas make a big noise on this I was called to a house were they said it was not to the regs it was 500mm within the house and they said it should be their I shook my head and mumbled common sense as I left

Reg 554.1.2

The main equipotential bonding connection to any gas,water or other service shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry of that service to the premises. Where there is an insulating section or insert at that point, or there is a meter, the connection shall be made to the consumer’s hard metal pipework and before any branch pipework . Where practicable the connection shall be made within 600mm of the meter outlet union or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external

Last edited by a moderator:
no code for the gas bond. It can be further away if you check it up in the regs, something like as near as practicable

Not sure what sort of back plate / light fitting you mean, but wouldn't get too excited. There are millions of Wooden backed Wylex fuseboards still about in houses with meter tails in that are made of wood!

IMO.....

tails made of wood????? never seen them before. :santa5:

IMO.....

Never seen a wooden backed Wylex fuseboard, ...Seen plenty of open back wooden framed Wylex fuseboards though!! lol!!

Mounted correctly, they are a dam sight more fire proof than these modern day plastic affairs. Never seen one that has caught fire, never heard of one that has caught fire due to an electrical fault either!! Seen more than a few melted blobs on the floor, that used to be a CU though!! lol!!

I don't know that not applying a code for the bonding issue is acceptable.
Yes the connection should be as close as is reasonably practicable to the point of entry, and it may be that 1500mm is as close as resonably practicable, it may be that the pipework betwen the point of entry and where the connection has been made is inaccesssible.
However the fact that there is a Tee junction between the point of entry and where the connection hass been made, suggests that the pipework is accessible (otherwise there wouldn't be a Tee junction), so the point of connection has not been made as near as practicable to the point of entry.
It is also a requirement that the bonding be connected before any branch pipework, which clearly in this instance is not the case.
To my mind, without further information with regards to just how accessible pipework is, I would apply a code, C3.

As for the ceiling rose, I'm not quite sure what the OP is stating.
What is the 'back plate' referred to?
Is the rose incomplete, just the cover hiding some terminal blocks masticed to the wooden ceiling?
Or is it complete (back plate and cover), and screwed directly to the wooden ceiling?
In the first instance, yes I would apply a code, either C£ or C2.
In the second instance, I wouldn't apply any code.

Referral to the best practice guide indicates no code to be applied to inaccessible bonding connections or bonds not within 600mm of meter. Personally as long as the existing connection is verified and provides suitable compliant continuity readings i would just make an observation and maybe apply a C3 if the clamp was not fully reachable. However since when does personal preference ever enter the equation.

I ended up putting a c3 on cert, i guess the sparky who installed the bond only had a limited amount of cable as it would have been quite easy to use an extra metre to situate the bond within 600 mm of pipe entry into building and before the first tee. Installation failed anyway due to no main protective water bond and Sockets not protected by rcd .
thanks for all the input.

The confusion arises when the British Gas engineer comes in and kicks off a stink because there is no earth at the meter I have been called out to 3 jobs were one was 1 metre away from the external box on the other side of the garage wall the 2nd he ripped out the plants around the external meter box and said it was extremely dangerous I ended up fitting an earth to the pipe as it entered the property in the garage from under the floor the meter was 3 metres away and there was a hardwood floor laid so where practicable applied here the 3rd was that the earth was 6mm and the safety label was missing.

One point to add though there will always be confusion on this because the Schemies want it that way the will never be definitive because interpitation is their bread and butter hence why they say O sorry thats wrong and when put on the spot they come out with the well yes you could do it that way. Sometimes I do wonder what ever happened to common sense

I ended up putting a c3 on cert, i guess the sparky who installed the bond only had a limited amount of cable as it would have been quite easy to use an extra metre to situate the bond within 600 mm of pipe entry into building and before the first tee. Installation failed anyway due to no main protective water bond and Sockets not protected by rcd .
thanks for all the input.

Just to add to this sometimes the meter box is fitted last and the guy fitting it will not put the earth on so when the spark leaves site the gas pipe is a stub sticking out the wall so thats why he fits the clamp on the inside of the property

The confusion arises when the British Gas engineer comes in and kicks off a stink because there is no earth at the meter I have been called out to 3 jobs were one was 1 metre away from the external box on the other side of the garage wall the 2nd he ripped out the plants around the external meter box and said it was extremely dangerous I ended up fitting an earth to the pipe as it entered the property in the garage from under the floor the meter was 3 metres away and there was a hardwood floor laid so where practicable applied here the 3rd was that the earth was 6mm and the safety label was missing.

One point to add though there will always be confusion on this because the Schemies want it that way the will never be definitive because interpitation is their bread and butter hence why they say O sorry thats wrong and when put on the spot they come out with the well yes you could do it that way. Sometimes I do wonder what ever happened to common sense
They can be quite ignorant and lazy at times. If the bond aint staring them in the face it's dangerous in their eyes.

I had a classic a few weeks back - concerned client on phone - house is using garage door as earth .... so I go round and yes there's 10mm GY running from the CU to the frame of the metal garage door, and also a nice newish bit of 16mm running from the CU to the DNO box just outside.

Think the Gas man needs to go to spec savers

Reply to gas bond not within 600mm2 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net