Discuss General feeling of youtube reviewers and how some are really good and some "beggers" in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

LukeD

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ive been watching hundreds now ...And it seems there is a industry of trades all wanting companies to send stuff for free and even maybe financial gain etc? Yet many of the reviews are rubbish and show meaningless stuff . But seem to have a huge following . I wonder how many companies will rain back on sending stuff out unless the reviewer is really going to do more than a "Un box" type video etc ? Some companies might not like a review . But respect it and work towards making the product better etc etc . I know one thing...A very very big UK based woodworking company send out sheds loads of stuff every week . And Ive yet to see a decent review done by any of the "Youtubers" .

I like this type of review .Its honest and straight forward

I find a certain electricians youtube reviews a bit "meh" as he is starting to just want free gear (That seems to be sold on ebay a week later :) )

I try not to watch YouTube videos.
Some 20 year old telling me “this is the right way to do it” when I’ve been doing it different since before they were born!

(that makes me sound really old!)

Also it shows diy bodgers the wrong thing, and they now expect to be experts being shown by experts.
People watch the video but aren’t going to look through pages and pages of comments, which will 99% be negative.

Some see it as a way to make an income, can't blame them really in these thymes of need. I like bushcraft and wild camping videos myself and trust YouTubers more when they buy their own gear then tell you if it's hot or not. Big Clive, Steve Wallis, Survival Russia, Reallybigmonkey1 (last guy isn't a pr0n star btw, it's the way he was described on a camping trip when he was up in a small tree and it began to bend "hey, what's that guy doing up in that tree?" - "he looks like a monkey!" - "yeah, a real big monkey!")

I lack the patience to watch a lot of these videos, especially those where they are supposedly doing a job for a paying customer and it's more like Laurel and Hardy comedy show, do they really charge the customer the full rate and hours while they are doing all their messing around
Then you have the how to videos where you know that the person has never actually done what the are showing you on site or anywhere else for that matter because they are demonstrating it in a way that you wouldn't normally us

The big thing now with social media is now most of these people want to be influencer's and the problem with a lot of them they are talentless wannabes who look to earn a living from the click culture rather than doing a proper days work

I know some of the YouTube fans will be, just like watch it, now I can do that this
1629119534651.png

It should be that's what I call sparking music to go with.

I also have questioned if they even have permission to film in a clients house
Could create some security issues especially if google has embedded any geo-positioning data to the video and there are any valuable possessions on display. The advertising the business could get when "Your local electrician cases your property for the thieving scum"

I try not to watch YouTube videos.
Some 20 year old telling me “this is the right way to do it” when I’ve been doing it different since before they were born!
(that makes me sound really old!)
Also it shows diy bodgers the wrong thing, and they now expect to be experts being shown by experts.
People watch the video but aren’t going to look through pages and pages of comments, which will 99% be negative.

'Grateful Dead' springs to mind........

Ive been watching hundreds now ...And it seems there is a industry of trades all wanting companies to send stuff for free and even maybe financial gain etc? Yet many of the reviews are rubbish and show meaningless stuff . But seem to have a huge following . I wonder how many companies will rain back on sending stuff out unless the reviewer is really going to do more than a "Un box" type video etc ? Some companies might not like a review . But respect it and work towards making the product better etc etc . I know one thing...A very very big UK based woodworking company send out sheds loads of stuff every week . And Ive yet to see a decent review done by any of the "Youtubers" .

I like this type of review .Its honest and straight forward

I find a certain electricians youtube reviews a bit "meh" as he is starting to just want free gear (That seems to be sold on ebay a week later :) )

Interesting results !

Attachments

• IMG_5690.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5691.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 18
It’s only the mft that should be accurate, being calibrated. The other plug in testers are indicators only.
True ! BUt the older cheaper version is a lot closer . I'm returning the new one as I cannot be bothered to work out if its other functions work and are safe . IT was a good try ! But shocked that they cannot make it almost bang on correct these days

True ! BUt the older cheaper version is a lot closer . I'm returning the new one as I cannot be bothered to work out if its other functions work and are safe . IT was a good try ! But shocked that they cannot make it almost bang on correct these days

Indeed. It shouldn't be difficult for even cheap chinese products to measure AC voltage to within 2 or 3 digits.

Reply to General feeling of youtube reviewers and how some are really good and some "beggers" in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net