Discuss Genny and log cabin. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mattmoo1974

Friend of a friend has asked me to marry the pair.
TT stake both ends?
Iv never done anything like this so any pointers would be good.
If all else fails i look in the red book :p

Sadly im very low on info apart from.
Hes bought a 3 bed log cabin and a Genny.
Hes clued up tho it ll be man enough for the job.
Hes a Factory Sparky and isnt registered with any 1(NICEIC) etc.
Hes putting it in his field to get planning permission at a later date.

It's a bit difficult to offer advice without knowing the set up you have.

I would say that yes, the gen frame will more than likely need referencing to earth via a rod, depending on how the machine is configured (you'll have a TN-S usually) and test results etc then another rod at the cabin DB may or may not be needed.

There are other ways of setting up this type of system but without more info it's hard to comment.

Aye sorry im low on info
Im guessing(worse thing to do) The genny will come with 3 core,So i ll have dedicated core for earth.
I was going to Earth stake the frame of the Genny down. I was wondering if i have to Log cabin side?
I mite just do that as well and its not like it ll cost much.
More to the point what forms would i have to issue?

First of all the size af the geney makes a difference.

Larger geneys (usually above 10KVA) will have N&E joined at the alternator box providing you with a TN-C-S connection which obviously changes the earthing arrangements.

Smaller units are generally TN-S configured (star point connected to chassis) as you are running a 3rd wire in your sub-main, this is where additional earth rods are needed to reference the framework to earth to enable operation of geney protection. If you cant get rods in due to ground conditions etc, you can alter the connection to provide a TN-C-S connection to make the geneys protection work.

Like I said depending on the size of the geney it may/may not have these connections, if it was a hired unit then there may be warning stickers plastered all over it telling you if the frame needs earthing, hence you'll know what system you're using TN-S or TN-C-S.

Personally I always try get a rod in somewhere regardless.

As for certification I would say an EIC would be required, usung the generator details as supply characteristics and documenting the distribution circuit. Does the cabin come pre-wired???

q
First of all the size af the geney makes a difference.

Larger geneys (usually above 10KVA) will have N&E joined at the alternator box providing you with a TN-C-S connection which obviously changes the earthing arrangements.

Smaller units are generally TN-S configured (star point connected to chassis) as you are running a 3rd wire in your sub-main, this is where additional earth rods are needed to reference the framework to earth to enable operation of geney protection. If you cant get rods in due to ground conditions etc, you can alter the connection to provide a TN-C-S connection to make the geneys protection work.

Like I said depending on the size of the geney it may/may not have these connections, if it was a hired unit then there may be warning stickers plastered all over it telling you if the frame needs earthing, hence you'll know what system you're using TN-S or TN-C-S.

Personally I always try get a rod in somewhere regardless.

As for certification I would say an EIC would be required, usung the generator details as supply characteristics and documenting the distribution circuit. Does the cabin come pre-wired???

Prewired

If thats the case, you may also need to 'live test' the cabin circuits as the supply characteristics will be totally different from those at the factory it was built in.

I would suggest a full EIC for the cabin also.

Reply to Genny and log cabin. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net