Search the forum,

Discuss Good replacement for a night storage heater? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would second dimplex quantum. Nice looking heaters, most of the rest look to industrial in my view. There are two slightly differing designs of them. But as Resu I think said they do require a permanent as well as off peak supply as they have a boost element and fan which may be needed come 10pm at night when the bricks start to cool.

HHD, there was a link on this website about models of NSHs that contain asbestos, worth looking at before dismantling any old models. Wasn't from that long ago.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAAB8/2Vbob8Sbl60/s1600/NEW+HHC+logo.jpg

Last edited:
I would second dimplex quantum. Nice looking heaters, most of the rest look to industrial in my view. There are two slightly differing designs of them. But as Resu I think said they do require a permanent as well as off peak supply as they have a boost element and fan which may be needed come 10pm at night when the bricks start to cool.

HHD, there was a link on this website about models of NSHs that contain asbestos, worth looking at before dismantling any old models. Wasn't from that long ago.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAAB8/2Vbob8Sbl60/s1600/NEW+HHC+logo.jpg

Thanks GO, I have a print out at home ready to take with me of all the models that contain asbestos. I had a very brief look at it whilst I was doing another job there and could not see a identification/model number or a make, it may be behind the casing though.

I did think of the Quantum and may well give that as an option to the customer, but if it needs a permanent supply as well thats going to bump up the cost so I suspect they will decline!

Yeah they are for the boost side of it there a lot bloody heavier as well think just the heater it self was 43kg I'm sure the older ones use to be lighter then that

Its not just the boost. If my memory serves me correctly they don't work without the 24/7 supply

If installing quantum heaters make sure the 24 hour supply is on something like thtc tariff .
i had to sort out a job where the installer had just plugged them into 13a sockets.
the woman's bill for a quarter was about £1000 .
the boost element switches on and off depending on what the room target set point is set to ,to keep the room at a more even temp than standard storage heaters

I would also recommend the dimplex quantum. Looked alright wasn't to much of a hassle to fit either. Even customer said they looked better then the old style heaters

Was easy enough to fit, only thing I didn't like was putting in the top row of bricks as you have to edge them over the element and it is a bit of a tight fit. Probably quite easy to damage the top element in that respect.

They have a lot of electronics going on in them as well for a NSH I thought.

DCF, the boost can obviously be turned off whilst keeping the stat temp as high as you like. But interesting to know about the thtc tariff. Will look into that.

Last edited:
Just got back from the job...

The problem turned out to be a broken neutral connection in the FCU by the side of the storage heater, it was well hidden though as the conductor went fully into the terminal but wasn't making any contact!

The lady did have a problem with another one of the the storage heaters too. It was occasionally tripping the MCB overnight.

It is a 2.55kW heater on a 10A breaker fed with a 1.5mm cable. It has a 13A FCU. In theory it should only be pulling around 11A so shouldn't ever trip the MCB. However this may be the problem and I wanted to hear peoples views on putting a 1.5mm conductor in a 16A MCB? I 'think' this is against the regs, but the 1.5mm cable is ref method C so the CCC is 16A, in addition it has a 13A FCU AND also reg 433.3.1 (ii) negates the need for overcurrent protection if the conductor is unlikely to carry over current due to the characteristics of the load (i.e 2.55kW = 11A).

Plus.. just checking appendix 15 and Fig15B actually shows a 20A MCB, so perhaps it isn't breaking the regs. I've just always put 2.5mm in a 16A MCB!

Just got back from the job...

The problem turned out to be a broken neutral connection in the FCU by the side of the storage heater, it was well hidden though as the conductor went fully into the terminal but wasn't making any contact!

The lady did have a problem with another one of the the storage heaters too. It was occasionally tripping the MCB overnight.

It is a 2.55kW heater on a 10A breaker fed with a 1.5mm cable. It has a 13A FCU. In theory it should only be pulling around 11A so shouldn't ever trip the MCB. However this may be the problem and I wanted to hear peoples views on putting a 1.5mm conductor in a 16A MCB? I 'think' this is against the regs, but the 1.5mm cable is ref method C so the CCC is 16A, in addition it has a 13A FCU AND also reg 433.3.1 (ii) negates the need for overcurrent protection if the conductor is unlikely to carry over current due to the characteristics of the load (i.e 2.55kW = 11A).

Plus.. just checking appendix 15 and Fig15B actually shows a 20A MCB, so perhaps it isn't breaking the regs. I've just always put 2.5mm in a 16A MCB!
is it only the one heater on it?

if yes then its a fixed load and i think you can as the load is on a 13amp fuse at max.

the cable has short circuit protection from the mcb and overload protection from the device

As long as its not in thermal insulation and VD is OK you can get away with a 1.5mm on a 16amp , I have come across 16amp mcbs on 1.5mm cable quite a though times in commercial environments.

Reply to Good replacement for a night storage heater? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back