Discuss GU10's Failing in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think on a job like the OP , I would buy a load of new branded lamps and replace the whole lot In one go.
make a note of the installation date and if they start to fail you will know how long they have lasted.
anything less than a year I would investigate further....

That’s a good price even for non-dim.
i remember the first lap led lamps were about 4 quid a piece , so when I saw them on clearance at 99p each i literally cleared the shelf.
they have come a lot in price in recent years...
I picked up a load of 4 x G9 capsule lamps at 99p the last time they had a clearout too - should last me years. Surprising what you can pick up if you are the first to spot them at your local branch...

Has an EICR been carried out recently and 500v insulation test been carried out with lamps in circuit?
I cant see it being a 'faulty' lamps after 4 years or more, especially with the usage they will have been subjected to in a hairdressers.
The rated hours are just a guide, not a guarantee that they will last that long.

I picked up a load of 4 x G9 capsule lamps at 99p the last time they had a clearout too - should last me years. Surprising what you can pick up if you are the first to spot them at your local branch...

I've bought many different brands of LED lamps over the years - most decent, but a few were of poor quality on terms of colour, longeviety etc.

LAP have generally been very reliable, although G9 was the one lamp I did have trouble with from LAP and I had 2 out of 8 fail within a couple of months. As these have all been in my own home there's no wasted time in travelling to a customer, although I'm always wary of any lamp with which I've had more than one failure.

I think on a job like the OP , I would buy a load of new branded lamps and replace the whole lot In one go.
make a note of the installation date and if they start to fail you will know how long they have lasted.
anything less than a year I would investigate further....
I am planning to replace the 8 failed lamps with Aurora ones and see what happens to these. If others fail it will point to faulty lamps, if the Aurora lamps fail it could be a problem with the supply. I'll also place a thermometer in the ceiling void to record the max. and min. temperatures.
[automerge]1601027176[/automerge]
Has an EICR been carried out recently and 500v insulation test been carried out with lamps in circuit?
I cant see it being a 'faulty' lamps after 4 years or more, especially with the usage they will have been subjected to in a hairdressers.
The rated hours are just a guide, not a guarantee that they will last that long.
Not that I am aware of. Surely, if an IR was carried out you would do this from line and neutral to cpc and just at 250vDC.

I am planning to replace the 8 failed lamps with Aurora ones and see what happens to these. If others fail it will point to faulty lamps, if the Aurora lamps fail it could be a problem with the supply. I'll also place a thermometer in the ceiling void to record the max. and min. temperatures.
[automerge]1601027176[/automerge]

Not that I am aware of. Surely, if an IR was carried out you would do this from line and neutral to cpc and just at 250vDC.

I would genuinly just change them all mate to save face, the cost of the additional lamps for peace of mind and customer relations is nothing compared to the time you will waste on a second visit.

Reply to GU10's Failing in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net