Discuss Halogen to LED- Transformers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping for some advice on replacements for the spotlights in our kitchen.

There are currently over a dozen (!), spotlights in the kitchen- all halogen. Many of them have died now, and I’m obviously looking to replace them all with suitable LED replacements, but I’m not sure a) what the suitable equivalent will be and b) whether I will need additional transformers for the new LED’s.

Having already removed some of the old bulbs, I can see in the cavity what seems to be a transformer of some kind already in there. From the picture I managed to take, it appears to be a Kingsway KLD060S MR16 transformer (dimmable), for low voltage halogen bulbs.

Is it likely that this transformer is serving all the dozen or so lights in series, or should I expect to see other transformers in the cavity? I can’t see any other transformers in the other few holes I’ve removed the old bulbs, but having not yet removed all of the bulbs, it could be possible?

I basically would like to know if I can just swap all the old bulbs out like-for-like for new LED’s, or is there more to it than this, and I need to be calling the electrician?

I've attached the pictures I've managed to take, along with a web image of the transformer I believe is present.

Many thanks!

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

You can buy LED replacement lamps that are directly compatible.

Without seeing the transformer arrangement, there may well be one on each fitting (which i suspect) or one serving a number of fittings, it's impossible to say if you'll run into problems.

I'd be tempted to suck it and see, for the cost of 12 lamps, £30-50 depending on where you get them.

Worst case you'll get some flicker issues and need new drivers and need a spark to resolve.

Another option in to get the fittings replaced with LED downlights which can be got for £10-15 each.

each light will have it's own transformer. these are not suitable for LEDs. best solution would be to pull the transformers out and fit 230V LEDs. GU10 fitting is the most common, so you'd need to replace all the lamp holders as well.

that tranny output is 12V a.c. 60watts max. so 1 for each light.

Is there somet
each light will have it's own transformer. these are not suitable for LEDs. best solution would be to pull the transformers out and fit 230V LEDs. GU10 fitting is the most common, so you'd need to replace all the lamp holders as well.
Is there something specific regarding these transformers that you know of?

Only asking as I have changed many a GU5.3 to LED lamps and only once had to change a transformer and this was where one transformer fed multiple fittings and had failed.

Worth knowing what to look out for in the future.

Is there somet

Is there something specific regarding these transformers that you know of?

Only asking as I have changed many a GU5.3 to LED lamps and only once had to change a transformer and this was where one transformer fed multiple fittings and had failed.

Worth knowing what to look out for in the future.

The transformer is rated 20-60w. Meaning it can properly regulate the supply providing the power consumption of the load is in the range 20-60w. If you stick an LED on the end (typically less than 10w) they are likely to flicker due to the inability of the supply to regulate the output properly.

The transformer is rated 20-60w. Meaning it can properly regulate the supply providing the power consumption of the load is in the range 20-60w. If you stick an LED on the end (typically less than 10w) they are likely to flicker due to the inability of the supply to regulate the output properly.

Appreciate that, are all GU5.3 transformers the same or are these particular ones a bit unusual?

Most high street electrical stores sell LED replacements lamps for these, I would have thought these lamps were designed to use the existing transformer.

Is this a theoretical issue but in practice rarely occurs or are GU5.3 LED replacement lamps built to compensate?

Google here I come.

apparently, some LED bulbs ( sod off lamp pedants. :eek::eek:) will run on a.c.

Appreciate that, are all GU5.3 transformers the same or are these particular ones a bit unusual?

Most high street electrical stores sell LED replacements lamps for these, I would have thought these lamps were designed to use the existing transformer.

Is this a theoretical issue but in practice rarely occurs or are GU5.3 LED replacement lamps built to compensate?

Google here I come.

Or spec savers

Look at the minimum load on the transformer

I have been dissuading people from keeping or buying 12v Hals for a decade, they had an advantage on 230v originally of extended lamp life due to a softer thermal shock when switch on but with modern LED's now that advantage no longer exists, I would always opt' for 230v GU10's, the old 12v had inherent design flaws that often saw premature failure at the pins due to overheating of the lamp pin itself or the lamp holder often through the sprung grip loosing its ability with the heat generated to maintain a tight pressure.
I would also avoid trying to retrofit GU5.3 Hals to LED, again their are too many compatibility issues that can see operational failure and/or drastically reduced lamp live without getting the correct TX/driver to match the lamp then you have to rely on future availability when we are seeing demand for 12v GU5.3 fall dramatically in a market turning back to mains powered 230v options.

Or spec savers

Look at the minimum load on the transformer
Got our jump right in boots on today have we? ( we need a pat on head smilie)

I have never had an issue when swapping out these lamps and I've done hundreds.

I'm interested in why they are working (might be pure luck) despite the fact the tranny says they shouldn't.

But you carry on trying to look clever.:p

hmm, at home i have fitted 12 5.5 LEDs in place of halogens, fitting has a toroidal transformer. had to leave 1 halogen in place to stop them flickering. bit of luck they won't fail within a year.

I've never replaced halogen MR16's etc with the LED equivalent, mainly 'cos the client was ----ed off changing the transformer, and the can had seen its sell by date. But I guess some might work.

But using old stuff, you'll end up getting the call, its ----ed up after your visit, so why bother.

Sorry about the language.

I've gone to do small jobs and people ask why their new LED is rapidly flashing on an off!

One was a University Professor (physics) - when I explained that older transformers often have a minimum load he instantly recognised the problem

Funny world

I never fit 12V leds unless its the only option ........... 230v units are the best answer

Reply to Halogen to LED- Transformers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net