Search the forum,

Discuss Hammer & Shovel Technique in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dizzy_Maskell

Just been talking about my old apprentice days and was telling my colleague about the first time I completed my own install,
My supervisor said right you are qualified so you build it test it and then you turn it on.
I was understandably nervous but all tested fine turned it on to an almighty bang raw fear and dread and the smell of poo faded after only a few seconds and turned to rage as I saw my supervisor and the other lads stood round laughing holding a shovel and hammer.

So here's the question what's the best story people have to offer on this subject.

blown up paper bag in my case, many moons ago.

Just remembered another one thanks to Tony's last post, not a prank though a manufacturer fail.

We had installed some lowbay lighting hung from chains in a new crane workshop install. They were the box type fitting with catch glasses to fit, about 2' by 1' by 1/4" thick. The catch glasses were held in place by rails that you screwed on, not an integral part of the fitting.

So one morning me and my mate walked in, turned the lights on, and BOOM ! one of the catch glasses fell from about 30' up and smashed on the concrete floor right next to us. After changing our pants we had a look up on the scissor lift.
On closer inspection, the rails were just not wide enough to hold the catch glasses, and the vibration of the start-up in the fitting had shaken one loose.

We called the manufacturers to inform them. " Oh yeah that's a known issue, the wrong rails went out with a few batches, we'll send you the right ones and a new glass." :S

Ok chaps I was also after pranks done by you or to you (we have a new apprentice) not that I will be doing anything to him of course just nice to hear I was not the only guy who had a "initiation"

I was deep in concentration oxy acetylene welding years ago when my old supervisor popped a balloon behind me. He thought it was funny at least, I never did like him.

Ok chaps I was also after pranks done by you or to you (we have a new apprentice) not that I will be doing anything to him of course just nice to hear I was not the only guy who had a "initiation"

Ones I have had done to me
Thick globs of grease under car door handle
General hiding of my tools/steps/materials
Sent for a long stand etc
Been sent to black the scuffs on SWA with boot polish
Spade bit left in the finger of my glove ( never found out who that nasty git was )

Ones i have done to others
Took all tools out of a guys toolbox and replaced them with bricks
Eaten someones snap
Sent the contracts manager to the wholesaler for a female coil and 3 metres of fallopian tube.
Tied someones shoelaces together without them knowing

Ones I have heard of (but might be best not to try)
Tied to a post naked and ******** painted with red lead
Shout "catch", then chuck him a charged capacitor
Fill his toolbox with swarf/silicone sealant/cement
Come up behind a guy whilst knelt second fixing a socket, whop out the tackle over his shoulder and call his name so he turns round and gets a face full
Joiners once got a lippy apprentice and nailed him to the floor for a few hours

Reply to Hammer & Shovel Technique in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back