Search the forum,

Discuss Has Electrician made a mistake with height? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry, the general public do refer to them as plug sockets. I will call them socket outlets in any future postings about them from now on.

Plug sockets - it's what you plug your socket plugs into right? :)

Although I've noticed that screwfix sell plug sockets: MK 13A 2-Gang DP Switched Plug Socket White | Switches & Sockets | NoLinkingToThis :mad2:

If you wanted the sockets in a specific place they should've been marked on the wall/clearly noted on the drawing. You can't expect tradesmen (or anybody) to be mind readers. Poor drawings are the bane of my life, and what's worse is when people watch you fit something then only later point out that wasn't where they wanted it.

You've clearly made a mistake so in my opinion the right thing to do is pay him to rectify.
Which is why I posted in quiet a harsh manner. I have been messed around by designers with terrible drawings and often unworkable "clever idea's" since I was 16 years old as a fresh face apprentice....The old saying we can send a rocket into space but you can't ever get a drawing correct...lol - And I am talking in the main about drawings issued by professionals who have "years" of experience - Unless it's a straight forward little job then it really is a good idea to spend the extra and get things like design and drawings ect done by a professional....At least if they make a mistake there is no ambiguity as to who pays and who is at fault. Honestly as nicely as I could possibly say it op just take this episode as a life learning curve...at the end of the day you "almost" pulled it off which is no mean feat....AND you have learned something. I always appreciate learning even if it costs me a few pounds.

I don't get this there are no standard heights argument you are using, there are standard heights for everything, as I stated already. 54" for high level, 42" for mid and 12" for low level, that's to bottom of the box from finished floor.

you have already stated you said high level when you wanted DESK level, and you have also stated that the sockets are about 12" too high.

therefore I emphasise again, you are the only one at fault and should admit it for once and for all.

Not only for giving the wrong info in the first place, but you failed to correct it at each and every stage of the installation.

You are simply choosing to take on board the info you want to suit your own agenda. Yet think if you say we are both at fault but I am choosing to take the view of the folks who didn't realise what you have done in the first place.

At at theend of the day, everyone makes mistakes, anyone that hasn't made a mistake, hadn't made anything.

Not it going to bother replying again, as you haven't once had the courtesy of even acknowledging the previous responses as they obviously don't suit your penny pinching agenda.

Apologies to anyone who thinks my post is harsh, but there's a right way and a wrong way to go about things, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who had the confidence to say so.

I don't get this there are no standard heights argument you are using, there are standard heights for everything, as I stated already. 54" for high level, 42" for mid and 12" for low level, that's to bottom of the box from finished floor.

you have already stated you said high level when you wanted DESK level, and you have also stated that the sockets are about 12" too high.

therefore I emphasise again, you are the only one at fault and should admit it for once and for all.

Not only for giving the wrong info in the first place, but you failed to correct it at each and every stage of the installation.

You are simply choosing to take on board the info you want to suit your own agenda. Yet think if you say we are both at fault but I am choosing to take the view of the folks who didn't realise what you have done in the first place.

At at theend of the day, everyone makes mistakes, anyone that hasn't made a mistake, hadn't made anything.

Not it going to bother replying again, as you haven't once had the courtesy of even acknowledging the previous responses as they obviously don't suit your penny pinching agenda.

Apologies to anyone who thinks my post is harsh, but there's a right way and a wrong way to go about things, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who had the confidence to say so.

Out of interest, where do the standard heights you quoted come from?

It's what I was told at college and by every electrician I worked under and alongside the past 20 years coming in May. And I spent most of my time as a house basher on new builds.

I also am standing here now in a government owned house (NIHE), and just measured the 3 heights here and they are all the same height.

so wired by a firm I don't know by lads I don't know, and it's how most houses, except disabled houses I've ever been in in NI are done.

Last edited:
I am only aware of two heights in the building regs for accessories, 450mm and 1200mm. The higher one is for switches, I guess that's why the electrician put it at that height, i.e. its the higher of the two levels. If there was a standard desk height, that might be helpful for electricians but they do vary by an inch or two, depends what the desk is for. I usually give the customer a black marker pen

It's what I was told at college and by every electrician I worked under and alongside the past 20 years coming in May. And I spent most of my time as a house basher on new builds.

I also am standing here now in a government owned house (NIHE), and just measured the 3 heights here and they are all the same height.

so wired by a firm I don't know by lads I don't know, and it's how most houses, except disabled houses I've ever been in in NI are done.

Well for the twelve years I've been doing this it has been 450 and 1200 for new builds in the uk and a traditional height of 12" and 54" outside of new builds

Yep 4' 6" to the centre of a light switch or --- height as I was told as an apprentice. :biggrin:
The 'third height' would be above kitchen worktops, 900mm & the worktop then a variable if you're trying to help the tiler. :biggrin:

Yep 4' 6" to the centre of a light switch or --- height as I was told as an apprentice. :biggrin:
The 'third height' would be above kitchen worktops, 900mm & the worktop then a variable if you're trying to help the tiler. :biggrin:

...This dropped me in it,when i fitted switches at Scaramangas' house...very embarrassing ...that dwarf was inconsolable :cool3:

if you had said High level to my company & given us a drawing we would have banged them in a light switch height 1200mm high to the top as this would be classed as high level on new build unless otherwise stated. disabled height & normally our kitchen socket height for above worktop.
but there again we do work with some designers & new build one off's, so we would have clarified the height as not to get any come backs.
I did read the previous post where you say that you don't blame yourself & have changed wording, it does read as if you want a free job done in the reading. however with doing a big job for a client like a full new build project we would just move the sockets down to location required as normally it is about reputation & wanting to do the best for the client, but if the client has been a complete idiot during the job making life hell then you will find that even the best sparky in the world may not wish to help out.
so I would think hard on how you have treated them during the job & not through rose tinted glasses & from this you should be able to gauge if you would think they would help you, most sparks would for a good client.

Can you tell me which posting you have read where I explicitly said 'I don't blame myself'? I find this strange to read because I blamed myself before I went on the forum, why? Because I wrote 'high level' in the plans. End of story.

Other people's postings have made me realise that the Electrician could have checked with me and I agree with this view so I attribute some of the blame to the Electrician.

As I've said many, many times, (maybe it will be my signature at the end each posting), I agree that we are BOTH to blame.

I have also said it is my home and I will pay whatever it takes to get it fixed (#68). Obviously it would be great if he would move them at no charge but if he wants to charge me what can I do about it? Not a FAT lot - maybe I could consider imprisoning him at my house or buy a torture device to threaten him with.

talk to your electrician. say that you are more to blame than him and so will he rectify the position at a reasonable cost to yourself. at the end of the day, the cost will be very small compared with the total cost of the job.

Can you tell me which posting you have read where I explicitly said 'I don't blame myself'? I find this strange to read because I blamed myself before I went on the forum, why? Because I wrote 'high level' in the plans. End of story.

You only told us in post #52 that you put 'high level' in your plans.

Other people's postings have made me realise that the Electrician could have checked with me and I agree with this view so I attribute some of the blame to the Electrician.

Only one person has stated the electrician should have checked with you to correct your error in the plans, since your post #52 where you explain your error.

As I've said many, many times, (maybe it will be my signature at the end each posting), I agree that we are BOTH to blame.

IMO, and it seems many others, YOU are to blame. You put incorrect info in the plans. You got what you put in the plans.

I have also said it is my home and I will pay whatever it takes to get it fixed (#68). Obviously it would be great if he would move them at no charge but if he wants to charge me what can I do about it? Not a FAT lot - maybe I could consider imprisoning him at my house or buy a torture device to threaten him with.

And you still haven't discussed this with the electrician who did the job??????? Again, if you explain your mistake to the electrician he may move it for free.

Maybe chill a bit, by the wording of your last posts you are getting a bit hot under the collar nothing comes of getting yourself in a state over things that are already done, I would think most electricians on here are the same there are no real problems but solutions to issue's that have arrived. can you give us an update when you have spoken with you contractor about the situation or even get them to put there side on here.
then we get both sides of the story & can come to a conclusion about the issue's you have had after all it is a forum that you have inquired on?
think also I maybe to blame as I got a bit bored after 4 pages & just skipped to the end

Last edited:
Ha ha, I am fine. :cool4: I am not stressed about this at all. I am coming out of a full house renovation that I've project managed with a 5 year old and a baby, yes I have recently given birth, that started in May last year and have dealt with much bigger problems and issues than moving two plug sockets lower down.

The Electrician has unfortunately suffered an injury on another job so I am not sure when he is coming back - hopefully soon.

Do you have any wallpaper left over? Saves you having to get a new roll just for one strip. Also will have the same product code as existing.

Yeah, I have some wallpaper left but not sure if it will be enough. Will need to check.

Spoon - as for your comment about not mentioning "high level" until much later on I mentioned it in my first posting #1. Not sure how you did the quote image thing but if you scroll to page 1 you will see it.

Now that you've posted that, prepare yourelf for a stampede of sparkies galloping through your door - all offering to do the job for nothing!! :ihih:

Spoon - as for your comment about not mentioning "high level" until much later on I mentioned it in my first posting #1. Not sure how you did the quote image thing but if you scroll to page 1 you will see it.

Yes LCV you are correct, you did mention it in your original post. I am wrong... ( See what I'm doing here.... :) )
If you click on the 'Reply With Quote' on the bottom right of someone's post you get the quote.

Reply to Has Electrician made a mistake with height? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock