Discuss Has Electrician made a mistake with height? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lol well I blame the op 95%. There is NO WAY I would move for free and to be even considering "See who pays for the redecorating".....Im glad it was not me as I would get the feeling that my customer was trying to blame me for his shortcomings AND worse than that getting ME to pay for them.
Your only defense here is that you "thought" that there was a standard height for such things....Well now you know there isn't - Do that sort of research 1st OR just measure up properly and give out proper plans. As for a light not dimming....faulty light fitting - not his nor your fault im sure if he supplied he will replace FOC.....but again if YOU supplied it would have to be paid for. Im sorry if this post comes across as harsh but i felt these things need stating.
I would bet that ALL of the electricians here have been in the situation where someone was vague with the usual problem of needing to keep working to get the job done (after all time is money especially if you are in danger of running into the next day ect ect.) Yes ideally the client is reachable but again the electrician doesn't know it's a problem given the vague description.

It's when you see them back-peddling when they have forgot about essential items they need in their newly designed kitchen, and the first fix is done, that this is very true.

You say that as a 'lay-person' you have assumed that 'high level' constitutes a standard height, and by the sound of it the electrician has put the sockets at a standard height, but I would assume that someone wanting something at a specific height would specify that height, and that someone who is drawing up plans would be more than a 'lay-person'.
If you had wanted the sockets at a height of 'above worktop height' then perhaps you should have stated that instead of specifying 'high level'.

As others have said I consider this to be your mistake. It shouldn't be difficult to rectify and if you speak to your electrician nicely he may agree to move them FOC, but you might find if you start stamping your feet and demanding things he might put his foot down and charge you for the alteration.

It's amazing how many times this situation arises and it always baffles me as to why it never gets picked up after the first fix has finished, which would be the ideal time to check everything before it becomes an absolute ball ache to change or move!!

In fairness we have only heard one side of the story!

We have, and yes there are always at least two sides to a story, agreed. But I will say again that if a customer specified some sockets at a different height than normal I would ask at what height. If the customer did not then tell me I would maybe do what the OPs spark then did and align them with switch plates. It is generally not that hard to find out what the finer details are in some plans.

Thanks for everyone's replies. It is good to hear different views.

From your replies there doesn't appear to be a standard height for desk level plugs so for that reason I agree with those that say the Electrician should have asked me exactly where I wanted them to be located. I do think it is both our faults as we both made assumptions which is never a not a good idea. He made an assumption about where I wanted them located. And I assumed that as a professional he would know where plugs sockets needed to go for DESK LEVEL equipment (not equipment located on a shelf above the monitor or above my head or on tall cabinets etc. but printers that sit on a bank of desk height cabinets that are located along the wall behind the desk). It is my mistake that I did not notice the height until now.

We both just need to talk and reach an agreement on how the issue should be rectified. We are human and we all make mistakes. That is life. This is my first renovation project so live and learn and compared with everything else I've had to deal with along the way I am certainly not losing any sleep over this non-issue.

I am relieved to hear that it is easily fixable. That is good to know so thanks for letting me know about that.

Hi,

As part of a full house renovation the house was completely rewired. I asked the Electrician to fit the plug sockets in the home office at a high level so that the printers sitting on the cabinets can easily be plugged into them. The plug sockets would be concealed by the printers.

I did not specify the height to the Electrician and neither did he ask me. He has finished doing the 2nd fix and I've now noticed that he has positioned the sockets to be the same height as the light switches which of course is far too high and looks really silly. The plug sockets are about 30cm higher than it needs to be.

What is your view on this?

Thanks.

Thanks for everyone's replies. It is good to hear different views.

From your replies there doesn't appear to be a standard height for desk level plugs so for that reason I agree with those that say the Electrician should have asked me exactly where I wanted them to be located. I do think it is both our faults as we both made assumptions which is never a not a good idea. He made an assumption about where I wanted them located. And I assumed that as a professional he would know where plugs sockets needed to go for DESK LEVEL equipment (not equipment located on a shelf above the monitor or above my head or on tall cabinets etc. but printers that sit on a bank of desk height cabinets that are located along the wall behind the desk). It is my mistake that I did not notice the height until now.

We both just need to talk and reach an agreement on how the issue should be rectified. We are human and we all make mistakes. That is life. This is my first renovation project so live and learn and compared with everything else I've had to deal with along the way I am certainly not losing any sleep over this non-issue.

I am relieved to hear that it is easily fixable. That is good to know so thanks for letting me know about that.

Hi just wanted to check,

So did you ask for HIGH LEVEL like you stated in your original post, or did you ask for DESK LEVEL as you try to emphasise in your last post.

Its seems to me, though I could be wrong, but from your posts, that you blame the electrician, whilst what you are saying reads more like you are to blame really. Especially now changing your wording to us, is that how you intend to try to get it fixed for free?

I know now, myself, that if someone came to me and said "I know I said high level, but I suppose I should have said mid/desk/worktop level, would it be hard to move them down 12"?"

Offer to pay, if the job is paying well and was quite large, I'd likely do it for free. However portray that it's not your fault and I'd say, well you told me high level and that's what you got, so if you need them moved it will cost you £---.

Though if you said desk level like in your last post, then it would be the electricians fault.

Although in regards to decorating repairs. That can only be down to you, as you have had plenty of opportunities to get it fixed prior to decorating, and you said you were on site often, so should really have been checking over things at each stage. Of all trades, not just the Sparks.

To the letter of the law, your sparky is correct in as much as your appliance should not really obstruct it's means of isolation. I notice that you have not commented on his take of it all , which leads mean to suspect he lays the blame at your door , rightly or wrongly.
im assuming you have self managed this project, so to wait until the wall is wallpapered before you point out the fault really says a lot I think. To even think he should cover cost of redecoration appears a tad cheeky I think.
i may be wrong.

Holy Mary...4 pages...i've had a pal doing a refurb,where the skip driver lifted the whole front of the property up...and down on the floor....one who did an 8 week extension,which was televised,and found an old monks well under the kitchen...N.H added 3 months to the project,oh,and lets not forget the mini-bore pile,through a 30" sewer...

...To the OP,give me your address,and i will post both you and your spark a tape measure and jotter :30:

As I said I think we are both to blame. I gave him plans which showed the office furniture but wrote 'plugs at high level' in a comment bubble as I thought that was what the terminology is for plugs that are higher than low level plugs. Of course in hindsight it would have been better if I hadn't written anything at all.

I haven't mentioned the Electrician's response because I haven't spoken to him about it yet. I posted this because I was unsure as to whose fault it was and what I should do. From everyone's replies I have a better idea of what I need to say and feel better that it can be easily sorted.

I haven't mentioned the Electrician's response because I haven't spoken to him about it yet. I posted this because I was unsure as to whose fault it was and what I should do. From everyone's replies I have a better idea of what I need to say and feel better that it can be easily sorted.
I'm sorry if this across as harsh, but surely your first port of call should have been the guy who done the work. He has all the facts and could have given you the most honest answer available. Most self employed guys are hard working ,honest , chaps who rely on good rep to carry on their living. I could be wrong, well wrong,but my instinct is you are trying lame blame on a guy who has given you what you asked for, and now you realise you should have managed the job more professionally or payed someone to do what is a very important part of any major renovation task.

If you have read everyone's replies you will see that some people think I am to blame, some think the Electrician is to blame and some think we are both to blame. We all have a different take on things and you have obviously only heard my side of things and not seen the plans that I gave him. I just came on the forum to hear different views and I am grateful to you all taking the time to respond.

Just for the record, although I have said this a few times, I think we are both to blame. I am not laying the blame on JUST the Electrician or trying to worm out of paying him to fix it or to say that the sockets need to be on the ceiling or for him to do a belly dance.

Thank you all!

As I said I think we are both to blame. I gave him plans which showed the office furniture but wrote 'plugs at high level' in a comment bubble as I thought that was what the terminology is for plugs that are higher than low level plugs. Of course in hindsight it would have been better if I hadn't written anything at all.

As has already been mentioned, the electrician had done as specified. Also as already mentioned, bad project management is to blame. Did you expect the electrician to question all the things in the plan. You would have been offended if he did.
You used the incorrect terminology in the plan you gave out. You specified 'high level', that is what you got. You are at fault..... Some people just don't like the facts.....

Best thing you can do is tell the electrician you was wrong and could he please move the sockets down.

No I wouldn't be offended. The plan shows the furniture layout in the room so I am not expecting him to question the furniture unless he has an interest in Interior Design. All the plugs in the room are low level plugs so he would have just asked me one question.

Erm, I have already said I am at fault but I am going to go with the people that have replied to say the Electrician should have asked me rather than making an assumption with the height as there is no standard/recommended height for 'high level plugs'. That is what I have learnt from their replies.

I've been watching this thread in awe. Can any seasoned sparks tell me where they buy their crystal balls from? Seems that's the next tool I need to add to the collection.

Erm, I have already said I am at fault but I am going to go with the people that have replied to say the Electrician should have asked me rather than making an assumption with the height as there is no standard/recommended height for 'high level plugs'. That is what I have learnt from their replies.

I take it you are ignoring the comment from Adam in post #44 "If you had wanted the sockets at a height of 'above worktop height' then perhaps you should have stated that instead of specifying 'high level'."
I suppose it's best for you to just take in the comments that suit the outcome you want.

Reply to Has Electrician made a mistake with height? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net