Search the forum,

Discuss Hawkesworth Testing - Anyone here work for them..? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

News to me that you need a probe for class 2 ? I was lead to believe the probe was for class 1 so you could obtain an earth.

I did have a rant in another thread somewhere about the probe and class 2, you are not alone, almost every engineer I met at HW didn't know about requiring the probe which is required for the insulation test, just plugging in a class 2 and pressing the button tests nothing at all. Probably means around half a million tests per year are done incorrectly.

Think you need to check a Kewtech manual.No were does it state you have to use a probe for class 2 appliances.As I said it is used to obtain an earth on a class 1,that's why there is a class 1/2 test.What about the soft test?would you use a probe for that too?

Do you understand how a class 2 test operates? The phase and neutral are joined and act as 1 leg of the 500v, the earth probe is the 2nd leg. With no probe you are simply sending a phase to the L/N join which has no effect. The only test between L/N is a quick resistance check to see if the device is turned on or off.

Please see your Kewtech manual page 7: ᾋ PE / Class II insulation probeConnect the Test Lead with crocodile clip (M-7208) (fig 5) to this
terminal for the measurement of protective conductor resistance and
Class II insulation, and clip metal parts of the appliance under test
with the crocodile clip.

Please see page 22: It clearly shows the probe being used on a class 2 device.

If you speak to Kewtech they will advise exactly the same. In the case of a class 2 with no exposed metal kewtech advise probing a suspect weak joint on the casing or screws etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you by any chance work for Hawkesworth main office, I notice they pretend to be a normal punters and customers in defence of anything negative? (Usually indicated by a new user with his first post about them) Im pretty sure this thread will be removed/locked before long.

Work for Hawkesworth!!! No mate , used too but not now. Still think what you are saying regarding class 2 is bolox. I have worked with many pat testers over the years some good and some bad.If you knew Hawkesworth engineers you may have come across C.C. who is by far their best engineer(by the book) , I have worked with him many times and never have I seen him or anyone else use a probe on class 2.So if you were to test a class2 table lamp were would you put your probe?If you were to test a class2 glue gun were would you put your probe?.....and don't tempt me!

It would be best to confirm with the manufacturer of the equipment the process to be followed with a class 2. As mentioned I have spoken to Kewtech (old testers) and Seaward for their new testers and both advised me of the information I have mentioned. If kewtech and Seaward tech are both wrong, and have put incorrect information in the user manuals of their own products then I stand corrected.

I did have a rant in another thread somewhere about the probe and class 2, you are not alone, almost every engineer I met at HW didn't know about requiring the probe which is required for the insulation test, just plugging in a class 2 and pressing the button tests nothing at all. Probably means around half a million tests per year are done incorrectly.

I know what you mean. In theory it is a completely pointless test probing a double insulated item, because you'll get infinite ohms (assumig it's not knackered), exactly what you'd get without using the probe!!! (must stop staing the obvious).

I've done PATing for 40p an item (agency work) so I know the ways of boosting your daily figures, aint worth getting out of bed otherwise!

It's all ******** anyway, last PAT job I had in a hotel, failed an iron with a broken case, put red fail sticker on it, took the fuse out, told the room manager who just happened to be passing by, 'relace that iron in room 123', ok will do. About 3 weeks later I get phone call about some guest complaining that his ****ing iron doesn't work...............I get more sense talking to the wife.

Reply to Hawkesworth Testing - Anyone here work for them..? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net