Discuss How do you find work after finishing level 2-3 electrical installation diploma? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I have tried applying to every electrician mate/improver jobs there is on every job websites and I got a few calls saying that they want guys with experience.

I went to electrical wholesalers to advertise and no luck.

I got a 18th edition, cscs card, ipaf, Full Driving licence but it seem these tickets are still not enough to get in onsite.

Have anyone tried to instead in contacting local electricians companies to find work? Was it a success? Because I tried it once and its like hitting a brick wall with no success. Do you reckon it's worth asking them that I am willing to work for minimum wage for work experience at their company? I just dont have a clue what to do right now to get that first step into the industry.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Have anyone tried to instead in contacting local electricians companies to find work?
I certainly get calls from people asking if there are any apprenticeships available. You have nothing to lose by going onto competentperson.co.uk and finding all the domestic sparks in your area and either sending them an email or phoning them.

Another suggestion - make a few cards and A5 posters and go to the smaller electrical merchants and ask if you can display a card anywhere.

Do you reckon it's worth asking them that I am willing to work for minimum wage for work experience at their company?
Every year a set of sole trader sparks get older and realise they benefit from some help. Myself and another guy on here have spoken about this. We've both recently taken on people on a casual basis to help with some jobs.
You are most likely to get some work if you offer yourself as a self employed skilled labourer / improver. So tax is your problem. You needn't make minimum wage your first offer, I pay more than that for general help and there have been some jobs where I've trusted him to do the whole lot and I pay more again for those.

Basically, keep at it!

Hi, I also hit a brick wall and the work experience I got was the kind of thing you find on YT with tape everywhere. I want to give it another go. But! I've forgotten quite a bit of the technical stuff and really got quite deep before not as deep as some of you but what is essential I refresh myself on!?

Reply to How do you find work after finishing level 2-3 electrical installation diploma? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net