Discuss HDDs and other sensitive equipment testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

deadlywonky

Hello everyone,

I've recently been on a training course to allow me to perform II+TEE on the equipment of the company I work for. The business is partly office based, partly environmental survey based and we are pretty low risk.

I would like to get some clarification from the board if possible regarding networked hard drives and other networking equipment. I am concerned that the full 250V test could fry the data (we have about 50TB of networked storage downstairs) and I was wondering about methods of securing the equipment in such a way as to avoid this test, all items are Class 1 and are in the far corner of our storeroom on 2 wooden shelves (part of a full wall of shelves).

My instructor on the course suggested that it might be possible to secure them with grating or similar, locked with a key so that access was limited to the key holder (director). Does anyone on the board have any experience with this, or are there any other solutions?

Many thanks in advance

Tom

Hi, welcome to the forum.
The 'soft' (IR @250V, substitute leakage and E Bond @ 200mA) PAT of servers and network data storage devices are very unlikely to cause any damage or loss of data. However on MOD military sites with data critical applications they usually insist on visual inspection only, but they have the distinct benefit of a legal exemption to the majority of UK H&S legislation/regulation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to HDDs and other sensitive equipment testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net