Discuss heat from floursecent tubes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Eddiesparks

installing some 2x 35w flourescent fittings in an office and they are clearly designed for entry thru the ceiling straight into the terminals but the old ones were wired in singles in conduit so have drilled 20mm holes in lights for side feeding etc. One of them in particular has got me a bit worried because the fittings have the tubes inside them and the only cover is the diffuser and the way it is wired presently means that the pvc singles are well close to the tubes. I couldn't find any other way to get to the terminals. I know the cables can withstand 70c (although obv CCC gets loads lower a this temp) and fluorescents are not nearly as warm as incandescent lamps but slightly worried about this. Should I get back there and try and sort something. Maybe heatproof sleeving?!?! Any bright ideas? Thanks a lot peoples.

How about heat proof sleeving like the stuff that gets supplied with incandescent type fittings?

Edit: Read the last line. That's what I'd do.:grin:

What about some heat proof sleeving :leaving::leaving::leaving::leaving::leaving::leaving:

get these guys to help. they know all about flourescents.

download (3).jpg

If you're worried some standard heat shrink over the wiring would be fine. There's no way the tubes will ever get to 70 degrees C. The only part of a fluorescent that might is if it's got old wire-wound ballasts which get hot when the tube reaches its end of life and doesn't fully strike. New ballasts all have safety built in to stop this so if it's a new fitting you've got nothing to worry about.

Reply to heat from floursecent tubes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, plumber here so please be gentle (or take the p-ss ;) ), I am supposed to be installing a UV water steriliser for a customer. I have some...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Beko DHR73431W heat pump tumble dryer that isn't heating. I'm thinking its beyond economic repair as I think the compressor has gone...
Replies
Views
I get the feeling asking this will produce head shaking, I'll ask anyway... I have a hot water tank with a single immersion heater. Currently...
Replies
Views
Hello there, I’m in the process of mapping out a relatively standard S-plan system for my parents central heating and hot water system. Not sure...
Replies
Views
About 15 years ago, after having had a modern consumer unit fitted, and prompted by our electrician, I asked my then energy supplier (Tonik) if...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock