Discuss Heating Lost Pressure in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies for the digression, but all this reminds me of an issue with a rental property a few years back, I was there to fit a new consumer unit. The tenant was there to let me in before heading off to work, but cryptically told me he had put a board down in the bathroom to make access easier.

When I went in said bathroom after he had gone, I found the floor had mostly rotted, and what was left of it had such an incline that one side of the room was a few inches lower than the other side. There was a leak from the bathroom plumbing that had rotted the flooring including some of the joists. It transpired this had been going on for some years, but not reported. On discussing with the agent, it turned out this was likely the reason the tenant was always reluctant to have any work done.

Outcome was the whole bathroom had to be stripped out, new flooring fitted including joist repairs/replacements, then a complete new bathroom.

Thanks for sharing this dodgy tenant experience - But not all tenants should be tarred under the same brush.... I had some issues with heating when first moved into property and had no heating or hot water for several days at the start of the tenancy, in freezing weather.... The managing agents completely ignored any of my communications....

There are equally as many rouge landlords, as there are rouge tenants.

Does anyone have any experience of using the Epoxy glue on a leak?

My landlords agents are extremely slow and take on average 1-6 weeks to reply, even when urgent.

They may well respond quickly if made aware of the fact that this issue will have a detrimental effect on the fabric of the building, but won't respond at all if they aren't notified. If an agent is slow to act, then the cost of repairs for any subsequent damage is a matter to be resolved between agent and landlord - if you fail to notify this issue it may be that both agent and landlord decide to pursue you for cost of repairs due to subsequent damage.

It matters not what the ratio of dodgy tenants to landlords might be, what matters it that you have an issue which needs to be properly resolved and temporary repairs are just that - temporary.

I really don't understand why you seem reluctant to notify the agent of this issue, which would a normal requirement of any tenancy agreement, but you don't need to justify your reasoning to me. I'll reiterate once more that this is a public forum and it wouldn't be the first time that posts on have come back to bite people.

Thanks for sharing this dodgy tenant experience - But not all tenants should be tarred under the same brush.... I had some issues with heating when first moved into property and had no heating or hot water for several days at the start of the tenancy, in freezing weather.... The managing agents completely ignored any of my communications....

Neither should all landlords be tarred with the same brush.

Have you notified your agent yet?

Epoxy - no idea. As we've said, the Amalgamating tape is the way to go.

Maybe you could ask them at the same time to sort out the socket that you got an electric shock from.

Water not leaking onto the socket is it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating Lost Pressure in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net