Discuss Hello from Oxfordshire in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

stuarth

-
Arms
Reaction score
Thought I had better introduce myself as I have been lurking around for a while browsing the many posts (19000 down to 13873 posts to go) some very informative some funny.
I am a kitchen fitter or "Kevin" as they are know here and a 5 week wonder as well............. grabbing the tin hat and ducking for cover:D
I have been kitchen fitting for way to many years and am looking for a more interesting work life so as I had some time and cash I went and did a 5 week coarse and learnt a lot but am saved enough to realise I have a long way to go, so no doubt I will be seeking advise on a regular basis.

Welcome to the forum mate.

Out of interest, what did you think of the 5 week course you did? Was it worth the money?

as long as you are competent to do what you think you are capable of, and know you limitations, then good luck to you.

Welcome to the forum mate.

Out of interest, what did you think of the 5 week course you did? Was it worth the money?

Mixed, there where bits that I thought was very good but it was very obvious to me that if you have no prior practical knowledge then it is at best only half the training needed to be half competent as a domestic spark. It also made a big difference in who was teaching you, a couple of the instructors where very good one in particular was excellent and he was a time served semi retired sparky of the old school type, ie a spade was most defiantly a spade and one was a 5 week wonder that had gone on to be a teacher as well and he obviously knew his stuff but was nowhere as good as he needed to be to impart that knowledge successfully. We had conflicting instructions on many things but more often it was on testing which p***ed me off no end, so I have been reading up and watching JW videos to fill in some of the inconsistencies from the training.
I was taught some basic stuff when I first left school including some 3 phase heater work and then I have worked as a kitchen fitter for over 20 years so on the practical stuff it was a doddle, the theory and maths made my brain cry a lot at times :(but with constant book reading and forum surfing I am confident I will make a decent spark in time.
But for most on my coarse they had next to no practice knowledge which is scary, how will they know where to plan the cable runs though a house? how will they organise their working day to be efficient etc some very intelligent guys who found the math etc easy but could not wire a socket or took hours to do the simple layouts we did.
With the right motivation and a willingness to question the instructors then yes people will get their moneys worth, but if you have no self employment history or practical knowledge then it becomes questionable.

I will carty on with kitchens for the short term but plan on being a electrician in time, getting a bit long in the tooth for lugging 4meter worktops around:(

I will carty on with kitchens for the short term but plan on being a electrician in time, getting a bit long in the tooth for lugging 4meter worktops around:(

Don't think spark'ing is any easier. There's up & downstairs for bathrooms, and where there's bathrooms, there are cramped loft spaces full of itchy stuff just waiting for you. Especially nice in the summer.

Grass isn't always greener :)

Don't think spark'ing is any easier. There's up & downstairs for bathrooms, and where there's bathrooms, there are cramped loft spaces full of itchy stuff just waiting for you. Especially nice in the summer.

Grass isn't always greener :)
Yes I know done a fair bit of that anyway, it's not so much grass is greener just more interesting than plonking boxes down and levelling rinse and repeat, also no 4 meter worktops big double ovens to lift on my own.

He will get the opportunity to complain about those pesky kitchen fitters though!:D

I can do that already, been out to inspect a kitchen that has been badly installed this morning and it makes me want to strangle the lazy bar-steward who made such a mess of this persons kitchen, if I get time later I will post about it, the sparks did not do a great job either:p

Reply to Hello from Oxfordshire in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net