Discuss Hello - New To Forum & Trade! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jasonm

Hello everyone

I am currently undertaking evening classes in my local college to train as a Domestic Installer. This covers Part P, 17th Edition & C&G 2392.

I am employed full time in another sector but am looking to do some property developing hence my decision to learn a trade. However, I am now really interested in obtaining further qualifications and become a 'Fully Qualified Electrician'. I am also interested in Renewable Energy and PAT qualifications.

Any advice on what courses to take and trade tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Jason,

Welcome along. In regards to PAT testing, i did C&G 2377 a couple of years back. Very basic course, very basic content. Providing you have basic understanding of electricity and its principles you will devour the course in no time. Its only a one day course if you have a little previous exp, maybe a 2 day if you dont. Costs circa £250 and your in and out the same day.

It's taught in a very shabby manor, they just get you in and out as fast as possible to keep turn around good, so you would be advised to buy the IEE code of practice and give it a good going over to reinforce what you learn on the day. As far as PAT testing goes.....its very straight forward, but i can only speak from my exp, others may have been more successful with it, its very hard to make a living from on its own, but a handy side note to any advertising you may do and any commercial/industrial work you may pick up, its a handy addition to have.

All the best at college, hope it all goes well.

Hi and welcome. Good luck with everything, due to start my training soon. And no its not a 5 week wonder course. Didn't like their approach... College much better option. :D

Welcome to the forum

Hi Jason,

It's taught in a very shabby manor, they just get you in and out as fast as possible to keep turn around good, so you would be advised to buy the IEE code of practice and give it a good going over to reinforce what you learn on the day. As far as PAT testing goes.....its very straight forward, but i can only speak from my exp, others may have been more successful with it, its very hard to make a living from on its own, but a handy side note to any advertising you may do and any commercial/industrial work you may pick up, its a handy addition to have.

All the best at college, hope it all goes well.

He is speaking from experience, not all training providers are shabby.

The 2377-22 has now been update to the QCF and requires a recorded practical assessment and the exam has been made harder, requiring some general knowledge questions and referencing through the whole code of practice now.

It should now be delivered over 2 days - unless the learners are already experience and competent electricians

Sorry Widdler i know your a in the teaching game and meant no offense by it - but i am sure your fully aware of how some training providers go about their business, was just giving a friendly warning to hunt down a good place to get the best training and to avoid the poor.

Can do 2377 cheaper..... buy the IEE code of practice book and just find an exam centre to do the online multi guess questions (which book is alowed.....but you shouldnt need!).

I done my exam only for £75 +VAT at a place called ATL Training for Trades in Hedge End, Southampton (google them.....they have other places around the country). Just home study that one

Getting into properties sounds like a good idea Jason, I thought about it but I have decided to do a 'Fully Qualified Electrician" course just in case. You never know when your qualifications might take you.

Hello - New To Forum & Trade!

Thanks for the welcomes! Looking forward to using the forums for advice in the future.

I'm really enjoying the course, and putting the work in in my own time...well if I am paying for it I would be stupid not to!

Now starting to build up my tools, got most hand tools - screwdrivers, pliers, snips etc, Fluke T140 voltage tester, any other must haves?

Reply to Hello - New To Forum & Trade! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net