Discuss HELP my company has signed off work I haven’t done in my name in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That would need permission from all involved
I'm happy to be corrected but a normal person is not subject to GDPR rules unlike a business or organisation and it is not illegal to record a conversation
Sharing that recorded conversation is a different matter and could open up a civil claim for violation of privacy

If it were me, I would 100% record the conversation to cover my a**e and wouldn't think twice about it

I'm happy to be corrected but a normal person is not subject to GDPR rules unlike a business or organisation and it is not illegal to record a conversation
Sharing that recorded conversation is a different matter and could open up a civil claim for violation of privacy

If it were me, I would 100% record the conversation to cover my a**e and wouldn't think twice about it
Tricky ..... IT would be better to say you wish to record . As Some contracts might have a clause about "recording meetings secretly etc ) Also it forms a professional atmosphere as each party is aware that what ever they say can be referred to later . Its also possible sometimes for a person to claim entrapment . Also ... if the OP was informed at the beginning of any meeting that any covert recording is not to take place etc .It could form "Gross misconduct" ?? A meeting can be "witnessed " At this stage , I would not want to lose a fight over something small. They might also be very worried if they are in the wrong and if so might use a very good employment lawyer to somehow "get you " on a technicality .

If they can show its against their contract rules etc . Then it could mean trouble .

If you had DIRECT access to ask someone who charges £1200 a hour for the best advice on the matter . Their answer "Might" be "CHECK and if its stated .Then dont ".

With regards to my comment "or record the meeting on your phone", I was thinking of just putting the phone on the table, for all to see, and tell them that you are recording the meeting, rather than doing notes, and then tell them that you will emailing it to all that has attended the meeting.

edit. If they don't want it recorded then just makes notes in the meeting and email them.

If they can show its against their contract rules etc . Then it could mean trouble .

If you had DIRECT access to ask someone who charges £1200 a hour for the best advice on the matter . Their answer "Might" be "CHECK and if its stated .Then dont ".
Feel like this could get my self in more trouble than it’s worth and at the end of the day I’m doing this to protect myself from a situation I’ve been put in.
Personally I feel like I should go into the meeting while recording ask permission straight away before anything is said and if the request is denied I will have to refuse the meeting with out a recording or a neutral witness if it’s still denied walk back out.
And refusing for a witness or a recording will show they are trying to hide something

Personally I'd go in with an open mind that boss may not be aware of what his blue-eyed QS has been up to, and at the first meeting I'd avoid doing anything to come across as antagonistic or a PITA. In other words, give him one chance.

It's a serious matter that should be taken seriously by default, and any half reasonable boss would completely understand that you are concerned the paperwork is fraudulently saying you have tested things that you haven't. If it were my company I'd be very concerned that this is a court case waiting to happen.

If nothing meaningful happens or changes you can send the company a letter, recorded delivery, stating that you are aware of many certificates that bear your name that you haven't tested, that these and any other similar jobs need testing properly, and you cannot take any responsibility for any certificates that bear your name until a full audit has been carried out. (and look for another job)

One other thought - do these certificates have an "approved for issue" or "reviewed by" section or similar and does the QS sign them too?

Personally I'd go in with an open mind that boss may not be aware of what his blue-eyed QS has been up to, and at the first meeting I'd avoid doing anything to come across as antagonistic or a PITA. In other words, give him one chance.

It's a serious matter that should be taken seriously by default, and any half reasonable boss would completely understand that you are concerned the paperwork is fraudulently saying you have tested things that you haven't. If it were my company I'd be very concerned that this is a court case waiting to happen.

If nothing meaningful happens or changes you can send the company a letter, recorded delivery, stating that you are aware of many certificates that bear your name that you haven't tested, that these and any other similar jobs need testing properly, and you cannot take any responsibility for any certificates that bear your name until a full audit has been carried out. (and look for another job)

One other thought - do these certificates have an "approved for issue" or "reviewed by" section or similar and does the QS sign them too?
Thanks for your help Tim
Apparently they get reviewed.
Basically if you fill every box and signature you can press finish and then after that you can press complete then the certificate locks its self.

Apparently the certificate that’s in question has been reviewed and passed by their supervisor.
The supervisor works for a different company and owns 25% of the company I work for.

After speaking to the niceic today I’m not on the software login at all, my name doesn’t come up which obviously made this very difficult when trying to ask questions.

I was all up for going into the meeting open minded hope this can be smoothed over but after asking for a meeting about this issue the project manager replied to me saying it was a clerical error and that the certificate will be removed and then went on to saying that I shouldn’t leave my signature on the software.
Made me feel like they was going to lie through their teeth as a clerical error doesn’t normally happen multiple times, I raised this issue in a follow up email and got no reply for some reason

Quite a bit of work going on, then. How old is the business?

If you are the company's only qualified electrician, who represents the company at the NICEIC inspections?
They would have to be suitably qualified for QS status.

If you are the company's only qualified electrician, who represents the company at the NICEIC inspections?
They would have to be suitably qualified for QS status
Rather depends how old the membership is. It used to be 18th edition and 2 years ‘experience’.
(Higher up this thread he describes the QS setup)

Rather depends how old the membership is. It used to be 18th edition and 2 years ‘experience’.
(Higher up this thread he describes the QS setup)
Fair enough, but if the QS is from another company, I would have thought it would be their cert. Strange one with someone caught in the middle, it seems.

Reply to HELP my company has signed off work I haven’t done in my name in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net