Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Help on learning heating systems for domestic properties in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. jordan123

jordan123 EF Member

Could someone point me in the right direction for learning everything I need to know on heating systems throughout my apprenticeship I didn’t get to do a lot of it and would like to know my stuff . Thanks

2. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

If you google Honeywell heating wiring diagrams they are self explanatory. Most systems use either two port valves for HW and CH, or a three port valve to do both. Follow the wiring and you'll see how it works. Programmer feeds heating and HW stats, stat tells required valve to open, micro switch in valve switches on boiler and pump.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SparkyAndGeorge

SparkyAndGeorge Electrician's Arms

Look up John Ward on youtube he does some excellent descriptions of heating systems

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Study the diagrams, learn the sequence of switching, learn what the colours of the valves and what they do, then keep drawing it out until you don’t have to copy a diagram.

• Like Like x 2
  5. farmerspark

farmerspark EF Member

Honeywell have a wiring guide app, handy as a quick reference. It's obviously heavily biased to their products, but the theory is universal

• Like Like x 2
  6. Charlie_

Charlie_ Electrician's Arms

Don’t just go for the parrot fashion method of learning the systems..
    Look into each device and how they work, draw out your own circuit diagram and work out how each system operates..
    This will make fault finding and alterations to existing systems very simple

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mhar

mhar Electrician's Arms

Honeywell (MK) do excellent training days touring the country, quite cheap as well.
    Drayton (Schneider) also do courses but more for their excellent Wiser system and hub. Maybe worth a call to see if they do a 'basics' course.