Search the forum,

Discuss help please guys stuck on these questions :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

busby1991

1.A portable appliance that is supplied by a flexible cord incorporated a protective conductor is classified as.
a. class 1
b. double insulation
c metal clad class 11
d. class 111
2. earth continuity testing may in certain circumstances be carried out by means of
a. low resistance ohmmeter
b an insulation resistance tester
c a bell set and battery
d an instrument complying with bs en 60309
3.A substantially continuos metal enclosure associated with class 11 equipment would be classified as
a. insualtion encased
b. isolation encased
c. metal cased
d. metal insulation
4.There is no provision for protecting earthing or reliance upon installation conditions for which one of the following equipment?
a. class 1
b class 11
c. class 111
d. class01
5. user checks of stationary equipment installed in industrial premises should be conducted
a before use
b daily
c weekly
d monthly
6.during a formal visual inspection if should be confirmed that the equipment is being operated
a. at the correct voltage
b. by a skilled person
c. by an instructed person
d. in accordance with manufacturers instruction
7.If a standard 13a plug became overheated the most likely cause would be:
a. a loose connection at one or more of the terminals
b. reversed polarity of the cable conductors
c. inadequated earthing connections
d. the use of an incorrectly rated cartridge fuses
8. an insulation resistance test of a class 1 household portable appliance is to be carried out using the earth leakage metho. the maximum acceptable vaslue is:a. 0.25ma
b. 0.5 ma
c. 0.75ma
d. 1ma
9.Which of the following types of equipment in shops and offices is considered the most likely to develop dangerous faults?
a. movable
b. stationary
c. portable
d. hand-held
10.one person of carrying out an earth continuity test, using low voltage current ohmmeter, on equipment which relies on functional earthing is to ensure that the:
a. touch current measurememnts are satisfactory
b. equipment conforms to the requirements of bs 7822
c. earthing allows the equipment to operate correctly
d. means of isolation form the supply are accessible
11. when conduting an earth continuity test on equipment that has accessible metal parts, which are eathed only for functinal/screening purposes, these parts should be
a tested at a current 1.5 times the fuse rating
b. subjected to a measurement touch currwnt test
c. tested at a current between 20ma to 200ma
d tested and earthed continuity at a full current
13. portable appliances testers may, in some cases, be used for earth continuity testing using a low value of test current, typically:
a.50ma slow test
b.50ma soft test
c.100ma slow test
d.100ma soft test

1.A portable appliance that is supplied by a flexible cord incorporated a protective conductor is classified as.
a. class 1
b. double insulation
c metal clad class 11
d. class 111
2. earth continuity testing may in certain circumstances be carried out by means of
a. low resistance ohmmeter
b an insulation resistance tester
c a bell set and battery
d an instrument complying with bs en 60309
3.A substantially continuos metal enclosure associated with class 11 equipment would be classified as
a. insualtion encased
b. isolation encased
c. metal cased
d. metal insulation
4.There is no provision for protecting earthing or reliance upon installation conditions for which one of the following equipment?
a. class 1
b class 11
c. class 111
d. class01
5. user checks of stationary equipment installed in industrial premises should be conducted
a before use
b daily
c weekly
d monthly
6.during a formal visual inspection if should be confirmed that the equipment is being operated
a. at the correct voltage
b. by a skilled person
c. by an instructed person
d. in accordance with manufacturers instruction
7.If a standard 13a plug became overheated the most likely cause would be:
a. a loose connection at one or more of the terminals
b. reversed polarity of the cable conductors
c. inadequated earthing connections
d. the use of an incorrectly rated cartridge fuses
8. an insulation resistance test of a class 1 household portable appliance is to be carried out using the earth leakage metho. the maximum acceptable vaslue is:a. 0.25ma
b. 0.5 ma
c. 0.75ma
d. 1ma
9.Which of the following types of equipment in shops and offices is considered the most likely to develop dangerous faults?
a. movable
b. stationary
c. portable
d. hand-held
10.one person of carrying out an earth continuity test, using low voltage current ohmmeter, on equipment which relies on functional earthing is to ensure that the:
a. touch current measurememnts are satisfactory
b. equipment conforms to the requirements of bs 7822
c. earthing allows the equipment to operate correctly
d. means of isolation form the supply are accessible
11. when conduting an earth continuity test on equipment that has accessible metal parts, which are eathed only for functinal/screening purposes, these parts should be
a tested at a current 1.5 times the fuse rating
b. subjected to a measurement touch currwnt test
c. tested at a current between 20ma to 200ma
d tested and earthed continuity at a full current
13. portable appliances testers may, in some cases, be used for earth continuity testing using a low value of test current, typically:
a.50ma slow test
b.50ma soft test
c.100ma slow test
d.100ma soft test

i hope you cut and paste this post on here or your hand must be killing you!

Re: Help please guys really stuck on these questions

Please do NOT respond to the original post unless he has given a guess, then just reply with YES or NO to his answers.

Sorry Busby1991, but is the best way you will learn by researching and answering.

Busby, like Mark says. Have a go at the questions giving the reasons for your answers. It's not us being cruel here, exactly the opposite. If you have a go and are wrong we will put you right

I would like to suggest that the OP invests in the IET Code of practice 3rd edition, for In service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment.

Cheers............Howard

as has been said here already....the O/P needs to research the answers.....as only then will he be able to interpret it fully....for himself.....and its THAT that will make it stick.....

what is scary is he will pass the pat testing course and still not know any of the answers, too many people jumping on these courses thinking they are going to be making loads of money pat testing still without the true knowledge of what the results actually mean on the testers and what to do about it and just move onto there next job.

what is scary is he will pass the pat testing course and still not know any of the answers, too many people jumping on these courses thinking they are going to be making loads of money pat testing still without the true knowledge of what the results actually mean on the tester and what to do about it and just move onto there next job.

You don't need to, just to apply green pass stickers to everything!

i always explain to a client why an electrical appliance has failed. how do you explain to a customer that the appliance has failed without an explanation? i then explain to them in writing how i can repair the appliance if it can be repaired and at what charge. its then down to them to decide to bin it or save it.

:sleep1:pat testing :sleep1: is only based on the reading when the appliance/lead was tested it could fail the following day

PAT testing like any maintenance/inspection is good for the length of time it takes to restore the power. At that point it all goes out of the window.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had management wanting me to make the noose to hang someone. “Electrician XX did the maintenance checks on Sunday it failed Monday. What did he miss / didn’t do?” I was one of the most senior electrical staff on site, so usually I got asked in to the office for my views. There was no way was I going to make that noose.
It’s happened to me, I repaired a motor by getting it in the lathe and skimming the sliprings, one day after it was refitted it failed with a burnt slipring. I was horrified to see it back in the shop. Went in to the office to find out what had happened, “don’t worry, we found a new (cheaper) supplier for brushes. You fitted a couple of the cheap ones”. “Sorry can you strip it all down again and get it in the lathe PLEASE”

You can test every mortal thing in sight, you can’t predict the future!

View attachment 11805

i was always taught to file a slight bevel on the edges of new brushes before fitting. was no trouble till had to re-brush a rather large d.c. generator. 12 banks of brushes, 12 in each bank. the comm. was 2'6" diameter, and i came out of thet room like a coal miner.

Reply to help please guys stuck on these questions :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net