Discuss Help!! What variable resistor do i need? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

benjihubbs

Hi,

I need a little bit of help, i am going to wire a battery pack to a small electric motor, but i need to be able to control the speed of the motor. I know i need a variable resistor, but which one? I am really confused and need someone who has the knowledge to explain to me, what resistor i need and how to wire it into the circuit?

If you could maybe post a link to where i could get the variable resistor i need, i would be grateful.

:confused:

Thanks for reading this

To let you know the size of resistor we need the following information

Volts
Full Load Amps of the motor
Do you want the speed the vary from 0 to full speed

Hi,

I need a little bit of help, i am going to wire a battery pack to a small electric motor, but i need to be able to control the speed of the motor. I know i need a variable resistor, but which one? I am really confused and need someone who has the knowledge to explain to me, what resistor i need and how to wire it into the circuit?

If you could maybe post a link to where i could get the variable resistor i need, i would be grateful.

:confused:

Thanks for reading this

What will the motor be driving?

:Dquick point if you are going to use a poteniometer then it will have to be a wire wound rather than a standard other wise youll get a wiffy smell as the wiper burns holes in the track :D

Motor resistance taking back EMF in to account 2.54ohm
Motor rated wattage @ 3V 3.51W

Get a 10W 10ohm wire wound linear resistor. It will give you plenty of leeway and not get even mildly warm :D

Reply to Help!! What variable resistor do i need? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net