Discuss Help with a fuse box in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Andyjack

DIY
Reaction score
Hi ive recently got myself a mig welder for my garage but each time i try to use it it trips out. Ive spoken to an electrician and he said its because welders use a lot of power to start up thats why its tripping out. He suggested to put a 32amp breaker into my garage fuse box and connect it to a 32amp industrial plug and plug the welder into it, ive done this and so far its not tripping out but is it safe. All my other breakers in the fuse box are B30amp with the positive and negative going into the top of the breaker but the new 32amp that im using is the same make (europa) but its a C32amp and not a B like the rest plus it only has the positive wire going into it so its wired different than the rest. WILL THIS BE OK ??

A picture would be helpful. Sounds like the others are RCBOs but the new one is not. Is there an RCD built into the 32A socket?

This is my fuse box the last breaker is the 32amp ive put in with this socket (32A 3 Pin Plug Socket Coupler IP44 2P+E 32 Amp 230v 240v Welder Workshop Garage )

Attachments

• IMG_3728.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3730.jpeg
    293.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3729.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 21
Can you show the one they took out?

I'm no expert with Europa but something doesn't look right with that mcb. It isn't fitted correctly and you can see they struggled to get the cover on with the screwdriver marks on it.

I'm no expert with Europa but something doesn't look right with that mcb. It isn't fitted correctly and you can see they struggled to get the cover on with the screwdriver marks on it.
Yes it was a struggle, its about two mil higher than the others and it was me that put it in. As you can see its switched off so i can check that its ok first. They wasn’t a breaker there that last space was blanked off. the welder was wired into number 3 before i put this one in.

The electrician did tell me to try and get a D type 32amp breaker but i couldn’t find one only B-C but i read online that its to do with the curve and C-D is for industrial so i went with the C

You have removed the RCD protection then that is not advisable. What size cable was it or show a pic.

Something odd about that MCB. All the Europa stuff I've come across has the blue logo that's on the other breakers. Fake?
Assuming the wiring is suitable for 32A, the one you should have fitted is EUB1RN.32/1C

Something odd about that MCB. All the Europa stuff I've come across has the blue logo that's on the other breakers. Fake?
Assuming the wiring is suitable for 32A, the one you should have fitted is EUB1RN.32/1C
No problem so if i fit the one you have stated it should be ok, thank you for your help much appreciated

The socket no longer has additional RCD protection which could lead to a dangerous situation. In the absence of an RCD you now need to confirm if fault protection is still provided.

Ive just found this. Is this correct ?.IMG_3731.png

Yes although the picture shows a type B the part number is correct.

Sorry to be a pain. The only place i can find that breaker is on Europa site but i cant order without an account. I can order from another place but the breaker is, see attached, I assume this will not do ?

Attachments

• IMG_3732.png
    965.3 KB · Views: 22

Just try and go through to checkout pretty sure they aren't account restricted.

Reply to Help with a fuse box in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net