Discuss Help with downlights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tessa1

DIY
Reaction score
I have two downlights in my hall with MR16 bulbs. These are now leds, obviously in the past they were halogens. The fittings are really old and the lights now flicker and strobe really badly. I have pulled the downlights out of the ceiling and both have just one two core wire running to them.
I assume they are both wired to a driver that is trapped between the joists in the ceiling. Upstairs there is a tongue and groove wooden floor nailed to the joists so it would be really hard to access from above. I wanted to replace the downlights and have lights I could actually use as I can only bear to use these if i have no other choice due to the flashing.
If I add two new downlights to the existing wires these would presumably be connected to the old transformer/driver. If this was not faulty would this work? If not or the driver is faulty any advice about a solution without ripping up the bedroom floor?

Are you sure there is one driver shared by the two lights. The norm is to fit one driver per light, which is accessible from the downlight hole - but occasionally I come across strange installs with shared transformers/drivers.

If it really is one shared and inaccessible driver, if you know where is it, you could cut a hole in the ceiling to access it, which gets replaced afterwards with a small timber batten support. And fill the saw-cut with filler (take care to cut neatly, e.g. with a holesaw).

Likely the driver does not like the much lower LED loads, and it is possble some additional loading may help - or it may not. I'd suggest to get rid of the driver and replace with GU10 mains voltage fittings if possible.

some older halogens were one transformer for several lights...

Transformers and drivers are different items, although both reduce the voltage to 12v or whatever.

Although LED lamps may work on an old transformer, they're not designed for them, and could shorten the lifespan of the lamp

Reply to Help with downlights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net