Discuss Help with ECS card renewal! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
First post so here goes...

My ECS card ran out almost 2 years ago and im looking to renew it. I checked the SJIB website and it lists the certificats needed in order to get a renewal if. The card ran out over a year ago. I sat the ecs health and safety last year so the certificate from that is not a problem as its within the last 30 months. But the other certificates needed must be within the last 5 years, all certificates i have from nvq and passing my fica are all dated may and june 2009!

Are they strict on dates when renewing? Will i need to resit any coarses in order to get my ecs card renewed?

All help very much appreciated and thanks in advance!

So my card will be renewed if i just fill out the renewal form and send copies of certificates etc even though my card ran out 2 years ago and certificates are dates just iver 5 years ago?

So long as you have done your health and safety test in the last two years the date that you qualified in your electrical profession is not at issue, the only thing is if you want to add more qualifications.
However because your card has expired then you would need to reapply for an renewal card, I believe, and enclose a photograph.
The best method of finding out would be to contact the ECS and ask.

First post so here goes...

My ECS card ran out almost 2 years ago and im looking to renew it. I checked the SJIB website and it lists the certificats needed in order to get a renewal if. The card ran out over a year ago. I sat the ecs health and safety last year so the certificate from that is not a problem as its within the last 30 months. But the other certificates needed must be within the last 5 years, all certificates i have from nvq and passing my fica are all dated may and june 2009!

Are they strict on dates when renewing? Will i need to resit any coarses in order to get my ecs card renewed?

All help very much appreciated and thanks in advance!
Some very good advice from the lads here, I can only add I recently re-applied for my card even though I don't need it really and I phoned the ECS/JIB, they told me what to do and how I needed to go about it, I don't doubt the guys are 100% correct but my advice is to make a telephone call and get it right first time and it will be a breeze.

The cetificate lasts for two years so you shouldn't need to do the ECS multiple choice examination. You are also exempt from doing the exam if you have the appropriate certificates valid within the last five years.

The cetificate lasts for two years so you shouldn't need to do the ECS multiple choice examination. You are also exempt from doing the exam if you have the appropriate certificates valid within the last five years.
.read below

So long as you have done your health and safety test in the last two years the date that you qualified in your electrical profession is not at issue, the only thing is if you want to add more qualifications.
However because your card has expired then you would need to reapply for an renewal card, I believe, and enclose a photograph.
The best method of finding out would be to contact the ECS and ask.

If I remember rightly , you have to get you're passport sized photo signed of as a true likeness by a doctor or solicitor or whatever the JIB stipulate ..
I think theres a form you get from the jib that has spaces for it..

Reply to Help with ECS card renewal! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net