Discuss Help with fault finding - general questions please help in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jordan2011

Hi there i have got my trade test to do done my installation today and tomorrow i have my fault finding and testing&inspection to do, just have a few questions i want to ask a decent tradesman who understand faults quite good, im fine with testing and inspection but where it comes to fault finding i am rubbish please someone help me, thanks jordan

p.s please respond asap, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i know thanks but im not sure for example there is a 2 way and intermediate switch with a keyswitch, the light is not working what is the options of a fault.

Hi there i have got my trade test to do done my installation today and tomorrow i have my fualt finding and testing&inspection to do, just have a few questions i want to ask a decent tradesman who understand faults quite good, im fine with testing and inspection but where it comes to fault finding i am rubbish please someone help me, thanks jordan

p.s please respond asap, thanks.

What do you want to know?

hi there, i have my trade test tomorrow and there are a few lighting circuits i have to find faults in 1st fault is a edison screw fitting 60w controlled by a 2 way, intermediate switch and keyswitch however the light is not working, have you any ideas what the fault may be, secondly there is another 5ft luminaire fitting controlled by a 2 way circuit, could u explain what the faults may be, thanks.

trace the path of the current flow starting with L at supply, through each switch, you will find that the faults are simple ones, wires crossed, loose connections etc. could even be a faulty lamp.

ok thanks, you are only allowed a bleep tester and not allowed to trace wires by hand or open up trunking what would u say the norma fault in this case would be loose connections dont seem to be it, checked all the connections.

open circuit cable in trunking. crossed connections on 2 way switches, test continuity from each accessible terminal.

Assuming no problem with the supply i.e blown fuses/tripped breakers, you are looking for open circuit fault (broken wires loose connections etc) or inoperative equipment like switches and fittings.

Cheers........Howard

Reply to Help with fault finding - general questions please help in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net