Discuss Helpful hints! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tom C

Can anybody please give me some advice? I have just left school and have been offered a course at a training centre for a level 2 C&G but I need to get an apprenticeship to go along with it or I can't start. Have written to over 30 firms but have heard nothing. Any suggestions what I can do? There don't seem to be apprenticeships out there. So how can I start out? Any other ways? Thanks.

just have to keep trying diiferent firms. . not many apprenticeships out there at the moment. try Brit. gas, and some of the other big players.

Try ringing company's, least that way you'll get a response? Ive been ringing and applying but it seems very quiet out there mate.
Good luck!

There are many applications going in to companies at the moment. Unfortunatley your letter will just go onto a pile of letters wanting the same thing. If this is truly something you are interested in then maybe you should start ringing or even visiting head offices if you can.
You say you've been offered training, does this mean you have the funding?
If so then let them know, show them you are (I hate this word) passionate about wanting to work for them.
Even if they have nothing at the time, it is much harder to forget a face than it is to shred a letter.

Hi there Ring the J.I.B and tell them your situation.They will offer to send you a list of companies in your local area that take on apprentices.When you recieve it start ringing. They sent me 12 pages of contact info and i ended up with a choice of 6 different companies. Good luck.

I'm with Widdler.

Knock on doors, armed with CV & proof of training proposal/funding. Tell them you are prepared to be interviewed there & then, or even wait till it's convenient!

It's a numbers game. you have to get your CV on the top of an employer's pile of applications on the day he has a vacancy. Do your homework and make sure you write directly to the employer by name and say why you want to work for that particular company. If writing on spec send a reminder letter a month or so later with an updated CV including everything you have done since your last letter. Your CV has to draw his attention over everyone else's. A lot appear to be written by dead-heads so make sure it is relevent and include your interests and hobbies, especially if your work experience is a bit thin. I would expect an applicaion to include evidence of a genuine interest in a technical hobby or something that included craft, diy, or creative skills. You will be expected to talk about them at interview so don't fill it bull of bull.
I got over 100 applications for a 1st year apprentice post so be prepared to send out 100 applications. If you really want it and are prepared to do the ground work, you will find somewhere.

Reply to Helpful hints! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net