Discuss here an old installation then in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nickblake

Got a call out to sparks by the fuse box , and i'm not suprised either the installation dates back to the 20's or 30's old lead sheethed cables with black rubber there is some steel conduit with braided singles in it to unfortunatly had to DN the installation and DNO disconnected there supplies luckily there was no one in the property the sparks were spotted by a passer by who came over to tell me so it was police fire and electricity board all good fun eh st gerrards vira menai bridge 001.JPGst gerrards vira menai bridge 002.JPGst gerrards vira menai bridge 008.JPGst gerrards vira menai bridge 013.JPGst gerrards vira menai bridge 015.JPGst gerrards vira menai bridge 023.JPGst gerrards vira menai bridge 025.JPGst gerrards vira menai bridge 028.JPGst gerrards vira menai bridge 032.JPGst gerrards vira menai bridge 030.JPGnice eh take note of the pull cord on the pendant for those not old enough to have seen one of these it was quite common for an iron to be plugged into it with the pull cord to switch it on , oh and this one was in a bathroom !!!

There's nothing wrong with that old lead sheathed and cotton wrapped cabling, looks like it should last at least another 50 years if it's left alone. It's probably those new fandangled MCB's or isolators that's causing the trouble.

couple more pic's and a heads up for the younger sparks take a close look at the consumer units , incoming supply fused neutral and live and also the out going fused neutral and live , and here's the warning and what to look for , between the fuses is a plate of asbestos ,also behind the fuses of the small board pictured below is also asbestos so if you come across this type of board be careful and of course the good old wooden one too st gerrards vira menai bridge 033.JPGst gerrards vira menai bridge 019.JPG

Loving the pendent adaptor things they used to get up to years ago I had a friend when he bought his house we found a adaptor in his landing lamp holder to take a torch lamp all in baca lite

Got a call out to sparks by the fuse box , and i'm not suprised either the installation dates back to the 20's or 30's old lead sheethed cables with black rubber there is some steel conduit with braided singles in it to unfortunatly had to DN the installation and DNO disconnected there supplies luckily there was no one in the property the sparks were spotted by a passer by who came over to tell me so it was police fire and electricity board all good fun eh View attachment 17698View attachment 17699View attachment 17700View attachment 17701View attachment 17702View attachment 17703View attachment 17704View attachment 17705View attachment 17706View attachment 17707nice eh take note of the pull cord on the pendant for those not old enough to have seen one of these it was quite common for an iron to be plugged into it with the pull cord to switch it on , oh and this one was in a bathroom !!!
just out of interest...try an IR test on the lead cable...bet you its still good...

- - - Updated - - -

Loving the pendent adaptor things they used to get up to years ago I had a friend when he bought his house we found a adaptor in his landing lamp holder to take a torch lamp all in baca lite
they used to run irons of them as well

the quality of those early installs was amazing compared to the cra-p these days
in those days an apprentiship was a proper indentured deal, a minimum 5 years
its a far far cry from the cra-p nowdays

Took 4 of those out of my sisters house in Holyhead last year, and I also took some out in Llanfair PG, in my sisters the immersion was still supplied by the lead cable, when I striped it back 4 inches it was absolutely mint, and IR tested well

Got a call out to sparks by the fuse box , and i'm not suprised either the installation dates back to the 20's or 30's old lead sheethed cables with black rubber there is some steel conduit with braided singles in it to unfortunatly had to DN the installation and DNO disconnected there supplies luckily there was no one in the property the sparks were spotted by a passer by who came over to tell me so it was police fire and electricity board all good fun eh View attachment 17698View attachment 17699View attachment 17700View attachment 17701View attachment 17702View attachment 17703View attachment 17704View attachment 17705View attachment 17706View attachment 17707nice eh take note of the pull cord on the pendant for those not old enough to have seen one of these it was quite common for an iron to be plugged into it with the pull cord to switch it on , oh and this one was in a bathroom !!!

I have seen a lot of these in old buildings in and around glasgow, mainly old houses that were up for demolition and also a few old houses and shops that are in outlying areas in the city, 2 or 3 miles from the city centre in areas that were once busy(50+years ago) but now mostly forgotten and abandoned/not lived in, some of the old houses somehow managed to come back into use due to new people taking on ownership, and small businesses are using them as kind of "secret storage" as they still look unused and dusty on the outside, they store things and stock in them as their main shop storage has been broken into before, choosing an old building that nobody notices in the middle of nowhere as opposed to a fresh new storage building that every crook knows exactly who is using it and what's likely to be inside...they come to us asking for new lighting and sockets to be put in with a new board, one of the guys that was using one for storage asked to keep the old stuff there(disconnected) for history's sake...should have taken some photos, might ask him to take a few pics and email me them...

I have seen the old 3 pin round sockets and plugs in there, cylinder vaccum cleaners and irons still on the old twisted india rubber flex with a bayonet light fitting plug on the end, I have also seen bayonet wall sockets at waist height with a bakelite switch on them for plugging into which they had before even the round pin plugs came in....

I have been in one old building that had bare wires along the ceiling on ceramic bobbin clips which was from the old 90volt system that goes back about 110 years(was lighting only back then)....there was still a rusty old transformer (disconnected for a lot of years from the house but on the 230V overheads going to the houses via rooftop) and it was buzzing loudly enough to be heard from about 25m on a quiet day....even though it was defunct it still buzzed away...

Last edited:
Lead covered cable (Mackintosh cable?).

Recommended for a 25yr normal service life.
Strongly recommended for replacement after 30yrs
The cable has not been manufactured for at least 50yrs

And i am still finding it in working installations?????

Lead covered cable (Mackintosh cable?).

Recommended for a 25yr normal service life.
Strongly recommended for replacement after 30yrs
The cable has not been manufactured for at least 50yrs

And i am still finding it in working installations?????

Just goes to show that the old lead and TRS cables were pretty dam good for there time!! lol!! It was only ever the tails that that became brittle, and that was mostly due to the heat baking them from incandescent lamps, or overloading sockets etc!! Think i have mentioned before, i used the old TRS cable i stripped out of my parents house during a rewire, and used it in the garage. Apart from the ends at the wall accessories, the cable was as good as the day it was installed. And better suited for a garage install as it's immune to cold and freezing temperatures ...Unlike our modern PVC cables!! lol!!

Reply to here an old installation then in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net