Discuss Hey guys ex military sparky here :) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

blueschill

Hello, people.

just thought I'd introduce myself I'm bob, I'm a Ex Royal Navy Engineering Technition Marine Engineer that was medically discharged because I got cancer at age 24 :(

I loved the navy the navy was my life but when I knew I was going to be discharged I got my domestic installer tickets to get me started as a basic spark.

Now after receiving too much chemo and steroids I have a bone disease and need two new hips, so my much anticipated business has been out on hold.

I have a few questions to ask which I will post soon so bear with me as I know the theory side inside out to being a sparky, but not the ins and outs of being a domestic sparky as it is a lot different from working on a ship.

again my name is bob and hello! :)

welcome bob
just a thought once worked with an ex navy spark putting a load of lighting up in a warehouse
started to get a few tingles then realised he had put all the nuetrals down to earth is reason was that on his ship the hull was used as the nuetral and earth path

Hey Pete , I have always used the ships hull as an earth but never as a neutral, It used to be done like that many moons ago, but not with modern ships, so either he was an old fella/ ex sailor or he just plainly got it wrong and covered his mistake with a fake story :)

i knew an old sailor that did the same to a new'ish ship he did it in his mess and electrocuted one of his ship mates and as a result was stripped of his senior rank !

Reply to Hey guys ex military sparky here :) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello all, First of all I apologise if this is in the wrong forum, I figured the general forum may be the best bet :) Thank you for taking...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Just a few lines to introduce myself to this forum. Fairly new to this industry and currently working for the local authority as...
Replies
Views
F
Hello chaps I'm an ex-RAF engineer (electronics - TG3/4 for anyone ex-RAF), and then moved to offshore as a geophysics engineer (that was more a...
Replies
Views
fall-apart-dave
F
R
Hi, my father in law has had an electrician round whilst an extension was being built, the guy carried out the installatons of the final circuits...
Replies
Views
R.Robertson
R
B
Hey guys, after spanking all of my money most of the tools I need... I have ran out :( So I'm after a fairly priced multifunction tester so I can...
Replies
Views
blueschill
B

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock