Discuss Hi All, Quick intro and thinking of a career change, so need some advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes, I did the 2365 level 2 electrical installations at college. There is a government advanced learner loan available for your level 3 course, however they won't fund the 2365 anymore so colleges are doing the 8202 course instead which allows you to get the loan which doesn't need to be paid back til you earn nearly 28000 a year. The 2365 and 8202 are basically the same course.
[automerge]1598878760[/automerge]
Also note you will need do the NVQ level 3, AM2, testing and inspection, 18 th edition after you've done your diploma or along side it to become fully qualified I believe

Thanks @stokielee

I will look into the 8202, incase that is about anywhere near me and see if there is a pathway to it. The loan might help, if the payback is doable and not just after, so many months, you need to pay back!

Yes, the level 3 onwwards, 18th etc, will be something I will have to head to after getting past these first hurdles.

Thanks again for this info

I don't think there is a real deadline to pay the loan back. It all depends if you earn enough money then you pay a really small percentage of your wage back every month. There is positives and negatives with the loan, the negative being you hard to pay interest on the loan. Like I say, it depends if you earn enough to have to pay any back at all.

Latest update,

My local college offers these two for about £1k each for the the year.

Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Electrical Installation
Level 2 Diploma Electrical Installation

I asked the online chat about doing level two and they said, I will need to complete the level 1 first! So I worked out, if they insist on level 1, it will mean 20/21 and then 21/22. Summer 2022 I will be on level 2!

Shall I look at another college?

You have to remember that local colleges are fundamentally setup for 16 year olds straight from school... yes yes yes... I know that all ages can go there and do... but the setup is not really for older students. That's why the private sector has filled that gap with all sorts of things to cater for those that do not fit the local college model.

So when you asked about doing level 2 without doing level 1... can you imagine if they allowed 16 year olds to do that ?

I'm firmly of the belief that the whole qualification structure for electricians needs a radical overhaul.

You have to remember that local colleges are fundamentally setup for 16 year olds straight from school... yes yes yes... I know that all ages can go there and do... but the setup is not really for older students. That's why the private sector has filled that gap with all sorts of things to cater for those that do not fit the local college model.

So when you asked about doing level 2 without doing level 1... can you imagine if they allowed 16 year olds to do that ?

I'm firmly of the belief that the whole qualification structure for electricians needs a radical overhaul.

I have a feeling that's what might of happened and that was for the part time evening course!

I can't even get through to the dept, to ask one of the staff members about it too!

That's putting me off the college route as very little is explained on the website and the course breakdown is almost nil.

Might need another rethink!

Hi Chaps,

Just updated the page, yip, south wales for me.

I cant even think about swansea or bridgend as that will be undoable for nightclasses.

Still looking around

These guys are in Cardiff... they don't show an evening option on their website... but call them ? See what they say ?

Reply to Hi All, Quick intro and thinking of a career change, so need some advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net