• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Hi and advice needed please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all .... I’ve got a problem with my boss ...I’m a plasterer by trade and do a lot dry - lining / dot and dab plaster board my bloke says I don’t need A ticket or be qualified to undo electrical plug sockets and tape wires up with insulation tape and leave them for the sparks for a later date .... I’ve had a big bust up with him and said I’m not qualified and it’s health and safety and has to be done by a qualified election... am I right or wrong please give your advice
Many thanks

If youn don't have the right equipment and knowledge to make safe on a temporary basis, then don't mess with it, ask your boss if he will look after your family if you get injured whilst frigging with electricks?

If youn don't have the right equipment and knowledge to make safe on a temporary basis, then don't mess with it, ask your boss if he will look after your family if you get injured whilst frigging with electricks?

or your boss is covering his arse, as he doesn't want to get sued if things go wrong with what you do. Either way your boss is in the right.

Hello all .... I’ve got a problem with my boss ...I’m a plasterer by trade and do a lot dry - lining / dot and dab plaster board my bloke says I don’t need A ticket or be qualified to undo electrical plug sockets and tape wires up with insulation tape and leave them for the sparks for a later date .... I’ve had a big bust up with him and said I’m not qualified and it’s health and safety and has to be done by a qualified election... am I right or wrong please give your advice
Many thanks
your boss is an arsehole. if plastering, as in skimming, there's nothing to stop you unscrewing sockets , switches etc. ( with all due care) and lifting them clear, but still connected, while you skim, but to ask you to disconnect is stupid and irresponsible.

your boss is an arsehole. if plastering, as in skimming, there's nothing to stop you unscrewing sockets , switches etc. ( with all due care) and lifting them clear, but still connected, while you skim, but to ask you to disconnect is stupid and irresponsible.

He is disconnecting the sockets. Not just unscrewing them from the wall.

You are correct.

Can you expand on this mate. I'm of limited intelligence and thought it would be a safety issue that a none electrician is dismantling a circuit without any proper equipment to test if its safe.

Many thanks
You need to be aware of the dangers of nasty lectric Mate, you should get the Sparky to make the cables safe, not tapped up, safe and proved dead to you by him, I know how you sids wield them trowels about with gay abandon, just catch a piece of 2.5 with the scimitar of a tool you use, and see hoe you feel, not nice, I have been there and done that.

Can you expand on this mate. I'm of limited intelligence and thought it would be a safety issue that a none electrician is dismantling a circuit without any proper equipment to test if its safe.
I was agreeing to the OP that he is correct in that he should not be doing it.

Thank for the reply’s ... my work is domistic work I’m in the damp proofing business as you boys know clients etc don’t take sockets or any fixture and fittings off the walls so most jobs have live sockets etc .... I could take face plates off and tape the wires up but I no that I shouldn’t!!! And I don’t .... just trying to find out by the experts if it’s dangerous and a health and safety issue

At the very least you need to be trained to prove dead and know how to safely isolate and lock off the circuit your working on,so yes you need some qualifications
Edit...oh and a few hundred quids worth of test equipment,that should cheer your boss up:)

Last edited:
At the very least you need to be trained to prove dead and know how to safely isolate and lock off the circuit your working on,so yes you need some qualifications
If you are safe isolating yourself then you need to be skilled in that procedure, if you are as you say a plasterer, then you need to be sure the circuit cables etc are dead and safe to work near, this needs to be proved to you by the person isolating.

If you are safe isolating yourself then you need to be skilled in that procedure, if you are as you say a plasterer, then you need to be sure the circuit cables etc are dead and safe to work near, this needs to be proved to you by the person isolating.
Point is proven quite nicely by Happy hippy dad thread this evening,one light fed from 2 circuits,dont assume they dead just cos you turned em off....

i think it's his boss needs isolating. alcatraz is vacant atm.

Is there any regulation acts I can put to him ? As he thinks he knows it all ???
Hi, Welcome to the forum, you'll note I have removed some very offensive language from your post, if you wish to carry on using the forum I suggest you show some consideration as we are a public forum.
Re' Darkwood.

Is there any regulation acts I can put to him ? As he thinks he knows it all ???
Electrical Safety best practice guide from the electrical safety council we'd page they have lists of best practice guides. In reality your Boss is responsible for ensuring your safety at work, he has a duty of care on your behalf, it doesn't take much of anew fort from him to make sure th cables are dead and safe to work near, he is being a bit of a prat imo.

Reply to Hi and advice needed please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back