Currently reading:
Hi tuff or H07RN?....

Discuss Hi tuff or H07RN?.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I have a job coming up soon where I will need to connect up 4 metal sockets. These will be in barns (under cover) where there will be animals. The cable and sockets will (probably) all be out of reach of the animals. I do need to confirm this with the owner.

The cable run is only about 15m. All the cable will be clipped to the surface, easily visible and run at height (6ft plus).

I was planning on using H07RN because it is a hard wearing, thick rubber cable. However, I was wondering if Hi-tuff (NYY-J) would be a better option?

What do you guys generally use?

I was taught to and have only ever used steel conduit and trunking in such areas as there will inevitably be mice, rats and other vermin in the area that will chew through any exposed cables.

Galv conduit would be my first choice or the alternative would be SWA if it was likely that other circuits were likely to be installed in the future then trunking with conduit drops to the sockets
I really appreciate the advice from both of you.

I only really work in domestic situations so this is a little out of my remit.

I will be taking your advice.

I really appreciate the advice from both of you.

I only really work in domestic situations so this is a little out of my remit.

I will be taking your advice.

Something else drummed in to me as an apprentice when working on stables was to be careful to not drop or leave any little bits of copper lying around, if they get in to an animals foot it could go very badly for the animal.

Something else drummed in to me as an apprentice when working on stables was to be careful to not drop or leave any little bits of copper lying around, if they get in to an animals foot it could go very badly for the animal.
Good advice. This, at least, is something I did already have on my radar.

Also worth thinking about the type of sockets you use. Agricultural installations are a special location and a certain IP rating is required, possibly IP65 but I can't remember off the top of my head and don't have a regs book to hand. Metal sockets aren't suitable though.

Also worth thinking about the type of sockets you use. Agricultural installations are a special location and a certain IP rating is required, possibly IP65 but I can't remember off the top of my head and don't have a regs book to hand. Metal sockets aren't suitable though.
IP44 minimum for all accessories, including switchgear and consumer units

SWA or get the bender out (preferred). Otherwise what doesn't get eaten by rodents will get used to hang something off of, guarantee it!!

Reply to Hi tuff or H07RN?.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock