Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Hopeful career change - just saying hi! in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Frank_620

Frank_620 EF Member

Hi Guys,

Just joined as I'm looking to retrain at the age of 30. Loads of great info on here so thanks for that!

Frank

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    welcome to the asylum. as for the career change, read threads about courses. don't be conned by these "become an electrician in 5 weeks"
    after parting with £6000.

3. Frank_620

Frank_620 EF Member

haha thanks, that's exactly what i have just posted a question about in the training section!

4. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

Welcome to the forum mate.
    Tried to look up "NVQ level 3 option skills" to see what you get for your money but all the sites are under maintenance... or my comp is playing up.

5. Frank_620

Frank_620 EF Member

6. Martyn Fletcher

Martyn Fletcher Regular EF Member

I was trained in Electrical and data engineering 1980. Left the trade in 1989 and bummed around in IT making money, started a few businesses and made money, lost everything in 2008 (Thank you w/bankers) and eventually decided to get back into Electrical and Data engineering last year. One of the easiest options open to me (I thought) was a DEI (Domestic Electrical Installer) course for £4000. I had the money, I had the need, so I did it hoping it would open doors. It did not. I'm earning, but not going in the direction I expected.
    If you respect yourself and wish to be respected within the industry I implore you NOT to go that route. Try, if you can to find a local college and do the FULL C&G 2330, 2392/2391 etc. At your age it is still worth doing and you will be around 35 years old when you're out the other end. THEN, you can command the respect that so many of us can no longer hope for. And you will know your trade and know your value.
    I'm 56 and I took the easy route after so long out, but now I'm looking at different options. I'm lucky in a way because I have the finances to swap and change a few things like starting my own company (I already have) or buying a franchise perhaps. But making the right choice from the outset is of paramount importance. So read and digest the advice you get from these guys here. They know their stuff.
    Other than that, I have nothing much to offer.
    Best of luck to you.

7. Frank_620

Frank_620 EF Member

Thanks Martyn good to hear peoples opinions.

I'll get looking again. One of the only level 3 courses i found was about 8k over two years mainly weekends at Gloucester college which seems expensive and i also cant give up that many weekends

8. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

I'm going to change the word 'respect' to 'acknowledged' as you don't get respect by a title but you earn respect on how you treat others.
    I have been in the industry a long time. A thread on here was discussing what an electrician & engineer is. Some think you have to have a JIB card to be an electrician and have a degree in engineering to be an engineer. I have neither. So according to these people I am neither an electrician nor engineer... Not that a care what these people think about me... just putting it out there. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    some colleges offer 2 evenings/week, and for a lot less wallet rape.

• Like Like x 1