Discuss Horn momentary switch - Works once then stops in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, the main horn on my Fiat Punto stopped working - went around the houses to fix it including the clockspring but to no avail. Now wired up a momentary switch running power from my electric windows.

Turn the car on, the windows work, press the horn and the horn works. Excellent. Press the horn or try the windows again and nothing happens. Have to turn the car off and back on again to 'reset'

Worth pointing out that at this stage I have not included a relay in the wiring and have tried with/without a fuse on the wire travelling from switch to horn, but the same outcome. Have not tried a fuse on the switch to window power.

Any ideas please? Thank you. I feel that the relay/fuse of the windows is not happy but would there be a workaround to solve this?

Your idea of powering the horn from another source for test purposes is sound, but your choice of the windows supply is not. The windows supply is likely to have overload protection, designed to protect against decapitating small brats if the windows close while their heads are through it.
Take the temporary supply directly from the battery +, preferably via an inline 30A fuse.

Thanks! Ideally I'd still like to find something on the dash to hook up into rather than running the battery power wire back thru and going straight from the battery - seems a little cleaner - Such as fog light/headlamp height adjuster buttons?

Thanks! Ideally I'd still like to find something on the dash to hook up into rather than running the battery power wire back thru and going straight from the battery - seems a little cleaner - Such as fog light/headlamp height adjuster buttons?

You could feed from an existing fuse, but make sure it has enough spare capacity. Horns often take quite a few amps.

I made the assumption that you just wanted to test the actual horn fully, to determine whether it or its control system is at fault.
If the horn proves to be OK, then I hope you will continue the search for the actual fault, not leave a bodge permanently in place.

Reply to Horn momentary switch - Works once then stops in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net