Search the forum,

Discuss Hot tub wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

massifal1

Hi People,

First of all let me state I am not a spark , I wont be doing the final connections on this .Just doing a first fit ,mounting switches running cable etc then getting someone to connect tails etc.
So let me begin with what I know

I am Installing a hot tub which has a total power consumption of 8.5 KW (but all things will not run at one time )
specs say i need 32a isolator and mcb 32a & rcd 32A 30Ma/40Ms

Tub is inside house on solid concrete floor. Tub has 3M tail of armoured cable attached.

I need to mount ip65 rotary isolator >2m from tub
Distance from isolator switch to board < 10m

running back to board in 6mm grey (inside of adjoing garage wall )

two main questions really

At board I have a seperate 2 way consumer unit which is a Wylex NHRS204/63GWU which runs shower (9.5kw) on a nsb 40mcb
Can I use other spare outlet and change the 63A rcd to say an 80A ???? with a 32A rcd ??

thats the easy bit for you really !!!!
photo (6).jpg

Now the controversy

The earthing in the house is PME soooooo I have been looking around and getting different answers ,Does it need an earth rod ?????

Hi People,

First of all let me state I am not a spark , I wont be doing the final connections on this .Just doing a first fit ,mounting switches running cable etc then getting someone to connect tails etc.
Not a good plan, really
So let me begin with what I know

I am Installing a hot tub which has a total power consumption of 8.5 KW (but all things will not run at one time )
specs say i need 32a isolator and mcb 32a & rcd 32A 30Ma/40Ms

Tub is inside house on solid concrete floor. Tub has 3M tail of armoured cable attached.

I need to mount ip65 rotary isolator >2m from tub
Distance from isolator switch to board < 10m

running back to board in 6mm grey (inside of adjoing garage wall )

two main questions really

At board I have a seperate 2 way consumer unit which is a Wylex NHRS204/63GWU which runs shower (9.5kw) on a nsb 40mcb
Can I use other spare outlet and change the 63A rcd to say an 80A ???? with a 32A rcd ??
Yes you can use an 80A 30mA RCD in place of the 63A 30mA RCD and fit a 32A MCB.
thats the easy bit for you really !!!!

Now the controversy

The earthing in the house is PME soooooo I have been looking around and getting different answers ,Does it need an earth rod ?????
No. But check with the electrician.

For a start this should be in the DIY forum!!

It should be fun watching you try to gland a SWA cable off into a rotary isolator!! lol!!
Get your electrician to make all the installation decisions as it's evident you're not up to making them!!

Just get your electrician to do the whole job, the cost difference will not be a great deal more, why get involved at all?

youve just spent at least £4-5 grand on a hot tub, whats a few hundred quid more on getting it connected up professionally

Eng 54
Well don't ya just love the forum police !!! & people who use multiple !!!!!!!!!! marks ^^^^^^

Apologies for not posting in the correct forum however I am new here and would sincerely like to thank you for the warm welcome and redirection to the DIY forum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wont be "trying" to gland anything !!!!!!!!!!!!

My post says I will just mount the boxes and leave tails !!!!!!!
I am well aware of the fact that I am not up-to making the decisions ,that's why I sought your kind words of advice which you put so eloquently .

Welchyboy1 cheers mate and I know it may sound a bit daft , but since I am not a builder or a plumber or a spark but have taken out widows , retaining walls, installed Lintels re-done brickwork and fitted french doors moved radiators and moved all other electrics away from site of tub , Im just taking a bit of pride in saying "I done that" and as far as the cost is concerned ? hey I'm scottish lol !!!

Mr Burns ( good name btw) Thank you for your info :wink_smile:

May I just add that the reason I asked about the earth rod is after looking on here and having spoken to the guy who will do final fix ( or the whole lot ) even "you" lot cant seem to agree on that one.

Finally thanks to you all and wherever & whoever you are God bless you & have a good xmas.
Ps remember to check the regs on those fairy lights !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another DIY'er that come on here, asks for advice and argues the ---- with those he doesn't like the responses too... Priceless!!

Wet concrete floors, may well give him a problem, but hey, what the hell do i know?

Hi People,

Tub is inside house on solid concrete floor.
Does it need an earth rod ?????

No, but there may be good arguments and possibly a requirement for earthing the metal re-enforcing grid in the concrete the hot tub sitting on (Hotsprings installation manual). All potential risks and the environment and likely use of the tub should be carefully assessed and the installation design should address the assessment of those risks in addition to compliance with regulations and manufacturer's installation and use instructions. You may also decide to address some of those risks that the manufacturer has disclaimed, but are likely to be significant.

Why not do the final connection yourself? That's the easy bit. If you are not sufficiently confident in your own work to switch it on and get into the tub yourself without a second thought, then I suggest that you should leave everything to a professional.

Of course, as it is fraudulent to get someone else to sign off the work as their own and immoral to infer that someone else is liable for your work. As you no doubt intend to undertake the work as a legitimate DIY job then you will probably be able to get some good advice from your council's building control department.

Reply to Hot tub wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net