Discuss House Lights - Random Blinks. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

severen

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,
just wanting some thoughts on this topic. i'm getting some very random blinks from a couple of downstairs lights. i changed most of my bulbs to LED, and from browsing it seems they're a lot more susceptible to current fluctuations etc, there has been one incident when a normal filament dimmed for a second or two but aside from one genuine power cut to the area the only issue is the blinks. it's totally random, no pattern - can be days between them; the light will blink once usually, and that's it. i've read that neighbouring properties' usage can cause fluctuations etc and i'm thinking it might just be the incoming supply, what w/ the colder/darker nights prompting more lights/heaters etc. i've had the tv and other things on when a blink has happened, they don't seem to be affected. also, the blinks don't happen when i do stuff, switch the kettle on or of etc.

is it something i'm just going to have to live w/?

TIA

could be caused by phantom voltages on LEDs. cure is called a snubber, fitted across L and N of the affected lights.

Hi all,
just wanting some thoughts on this topic. i'm getting some very random blinks from a couple of downstairs lights. i changed most of my bulbs to LED, and from browsing it seems they're a lot more susceptible to current fluctuations etc, there has been one incident when a normal filament dimmed for a second or two but aside from one genuine power cut to the area the only issue is the blinks. it's totally random, no pattern - can be days between them; the light will blink once usually, and that's it. i've read that neighbouring properties' usage can cause fluctuations etc and i'm thinking it might just be the incoming supply, what w/ the colder/darker nights prompting more lights/heaters etc. i've had the tv and other things on when a blink has happened, they don't seem to be affected. also, the blinks don't happen when i do stuff, switch the kettle on or of etc.

is it something i'm just going to have to live w/?

TIA
I had a similar problem recently
stuck my meter across the supply and it was around 170Volts
I contacted the supply company, first bloke said now wrong, didnt do much testing and buzzed off
problem kept happening
got them back showed a picture of the meter readings
turned out to be the cut out blades either worn or corroded, recently had a smart meter fitted and I was worried that was causing it
they dropped a new fuse in after cleaning and tightening the blades and connector screws
all seems good now
you might have an electrical surge though from another property on the same phase, any one had an electric car charger installed recently ?

hi,

thanks for the replies. not sure about the neighbours' cars, to be honest. Given the issue doesn't affect anything but the lights, it seems, it might just be me being paranoid, our phase does seem to be a bit cursed though, a couple years back it went out for almost a full day, and in 2019 i had over 4 months of long periods of light flickers that i had the suppliers out over countless times; they said part of the supply was giving up and was hard to tell where the fault was until it actually gave up, which it eventually did on new year's eve started off just making the lights flicker badly then got to the point where my computer fans started to labour when it happened and i was getting very jittery about damage etc. Think it's left me w/ an ingrained nervousness/panic when i get the odd blink :-D

Reply to House Lights - Random Blinks. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net