Discuss How daft is this? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Silly Sausage

or correct me if I'm wrong...(hahaha, as I usually am!)

After someone asking whether I could do a Consumer Unit swap (can't, not a scam member & I'm not paying the council £300), it got me wondering.

Having 2391 etc., I could probably work for the council doing I&Ts for Part P notifiable work, but I wouldn't be allowed to do such work on my own house without telling/paying them.

Mad! or would I have to be a scheme member to do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its all insane nonsense Archy

You could very well become the councils local inspector,pay to notify the consumer unit change,come and inspect and test your own work and pay for the privilege, thus being paid and having to pay for the supervising of yourself and your electrical works

You couldn't make it up if you tried

look archy,....its like this:...we all know in here that you are more than capable of doing this work......however......still leaves the issue of those that pay a yearly subscription to one of the robbers as apposed to a scenario like suggested here......could get some hostile replies fella.......

look archy,....its like this:...we all know in here that you are more than capable of doing this work......however......still leaves the issue of those that pay a yearly subscription to one of the robbers as apposed to a scenario like suggested here......could get some hostile replies fella.......

I could not agree more , but those replies should firmly lay at only the feet of the scam providers !

Just out of interest, if you're an electrician- experienced highly qual'd etc working for a company and you do a private job, say a CU change, and you do it right, test, issue cert and all, but you're not registered-What can (they?) actually do to you? Are builing control gonna get a posse together and come and string you up from the nearest tree or what?

If it was me (and its not, I am registered) and I wanted to do a one off job like this and the client understood it wasn't entirely kocher, well, I'd prolly just go for it, in all honesty.

before i was elecsa registered i re-wired my mums house just after she had moved in, I didnt notifiy building control and i havent notified it scince i became registered, I know its been done right, and I also know she prpbably aint going to move now for the next 20 years, so i will worry about the paperwork then!!!

.... of those that pay a yearly subscription to one of the robbers .......

That's one of the reasons why I said I can't do it. She's getting a local electrician in to price as well, I think I'll leave it to him. (assuming he's scheme registered)

I'll keep an eye on it though.
It's me mate's neighbour, she's complaining about fuse blowing when her lamps blow out. Explained the reason. It's a perfectly servicable 4 way 3036 number (cover missing) and doesn't need changing, but then she says she wants about 10 more sockets putting in...RCDs!

Im not condoning doing rough work, or working full time as a DI and not being registered, but generally I tend to respect a home owners right to do what they want with their own property as long as they are made aware of the rules. This does not for a second mean I would do substandard work just because the client didn't mind it being substandard, Im just making a point.

before i was elecsa registered i re-wired my mums house just after she had moved in, I didnt notifiy building control and i havent notified it scince i became registered, I know its been done right, and I also know she prpbably aint going to move now for the next 20 years, so i will worry about the paperwork then!!!
well this is it.......centres around bits of paper for the purposes of selling....but now the bubbles burst..lol......i think though with all the crap thats about now though as well...(5 week wonders,...kitchen fitters..)etc....i would want to see a proper EIC,...schedule of inspections (one of the most abused forms in this trade..lol) schedule of tests.....something i could check against the install....see whats been added......like if maybe 3-4 more outlets have suddenly appeared from noware....like scotch mist..lol.....

That's one of the reasons why I said I can't do it. She's getting a local electrician in to price as well, I think I'll leave it to him. (assuming he's scheme registered)

I'll keep an eye on it though.
It's me mate's neighbour, she's complaining about fuse blowing when her lamps blow out. Explained the reason. It's a perfectly servicable 4 way 3036 number (cover missing) and doesn't need changing, but then she says she wants about 10 more sockets putting in...RCDs!
well i suppose you could RCD that circuit/s feeding the proposed new work.....but i tend to find that these older installs hide a multitude of little sins...lol...all designed to make life hard for us....lol....

You know its got nothing to do with whether or not the work is completed to a high standard, but more to do with audit trails, tax collecting and removing 'unofficial' work from the jobs market.
By registering with an authorizing body your work/notifications are likely to be reviewed from time to time by the Inland Revenue tax collectors and compared with your tax returns. Any inconsistencies will be placed back on you at, from what I can gather, double the tax liability, you might have expected to pay.

The Borg have arrived - look what that ******** said about Harry Rednap ! after he was acquitted

Reply to How daft is this? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net