Discuss How do I tell if my bathroom has supplementary bonding? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello. Non-electrician here. Failed an EICR yesterday as the electrician graded my consumer unit C2.

Why C2 and not C3? He didn't say (and still won't). Consumer unit is the same age as the building - dates from 2003. No RCD. But never had any issues. No apparent defects.

Apparently lack of RCD would be a C2 issue in combination with certain conditions. But property is a third-floor flat. No electric shower.

The one thing I'm not sure of is supplementary bonding in the bathrooms. How can a layman like myself tell whether it exists?

Or is it simply the case that a new-build from 2003 without RCD would definitely have supplementary bonding, as it wouldn't be possible to have neither?

Don't try to second guess it.

The report will state exactly what issues they have found and what in there opinion is C2 or C3 or indeed C1

if you need any further clarification, post a copy of the report on here with the personal details redacted.

Irrespective of the EICR I can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t want RCD technology in their (or their tenants) consumer unit.
Getting 20 years out of a consumer unit isn’t bad going. Fitting one now with life-saving features wouldn’t be the most ridiculous idea ever.

Don't try to second guess it.

The report will state exactly what issues they have found and what in there opinion is C2 or C3 or indeed C1

if you need any further clarification, post a copy of the report on here with the personal details redacted.
That's kind of you to offer. Alas, the file was rejected as too large.

But really, it's just a photo of the consumer unit and the words 'NEW CONSUMER UNIT REQURED DUAL RCD AND SPD REQUIRED alongside it. (I'd have then expected the words 'due to' and then the reason - but no, nothing.)

Extent of Electrical Installation is stated as: 'NO LIGHTING OVER 2M TESTED, NO FLOOR BOARDS OR CARPET LIFTED, NO FIRE BARRIERS TESTED, NO HEATING CONTROLS TESTED, NO IR OR R1+R2 WHERE EQUIPMENT IS ON ON OR PLUGGED IN.'

The rest of the report is an entirely clean bill of health. ('Good general condition' is stated under 'Reason for producing this report' - odd place to put that, but OK)

There will be section headed item 1,2,3 etc.. with sub sections. Every item should have either a code C1,C2,C3, FI, NA or a simple tick.

Anything that has been coded with a C should also be listed under section K, “observations” as a summary of items.

2003 would not have required rcd protection as it does now… I think the only requirement would be socket outlets for supplying items outside… more likely on a ground floor flat than a 3rd floor.

Supplementary bonding is simply linking copper pipes and other metallic items in a bathroom with 4mm earth wire.
If this is not visible, ie behind bath panel, then it can be tested by the electrician with his test equipment.

As above, having your consumer unit changed will be safer, but get other quotes. You don’t need to use the same fella that did the inspection.

A tip for images…
I screenshot any photo I’m viewing, then crop off the extra screen. (iPhone) That brings the file size down enough for forum to accept.
You’ll have to edit it anyway to redact the personal details.

That's kind of you to offer. Alas, the file was rejected as too large.

But really, it's just a photo of the consumer unit and the words 'NEW CONSUMER UNIT REQURED DUAL RCD AND SPD REQUIRED alongside it. (I'd have then expected the words 'due to' and then the reason - but no, nothing.)

Extent of Electrical Installation is stated as: 'NO LIGHTING OVER 2M TESTED, NO FLOOR BOARDS OR CARPET LIFTED, NO FIRE BARRIERS TESTED, NO HEATING CONTROLS TESTED, NO IR OR R1+R2 WHERE EQUIPMENT IS ON ON OR PLUGGED IN.'

The rest of the report is an entirely clean bill of health. ('Good general condition' is stated under 'Reason for producing this report' - odd place to put that, but OK)
So they haven't tested any of the lighting?? Unless you have really low ceilings & why haven't they unplugged everything or turned certain circuits off. Sounds like they looked at the board, realised it needs upgrading and didn't bother going any further. Do get the board changed though but I'd find someone else to do it and make sure you get a proper test back once it's done.

So they haven't tested any of the lighting?? Unless you have really low ceilings & why haven't they unplugged everything or turned certain circuits off. Sounds like they looked at the board, realised it needs upgrading and didn't bother going any further. Do get the board changed though but I'd find someone else to do it and make sure you get a proper test back once it's done.
Thank you

There will be section headed item 1,2,3 etc.. with sub sections. Every item should have either a code C1,C2,C3, FI, NA or a simple tick.

Anything that has been coded with a C should also be listed under section K, “observations” as a summary of items.

2003 would not have required rcd protection as it does now… I think the only requirement would be socket outlets for supplying items outside… more likely on a ground floor flat than a 3rd floor.

Supplementary bonding is simply linking copper pipes and other metallic items in a bathroom with 4mm earth wire.
If this is not visible, ie behind bath panel, then it can be tested by the electrician with his test equipment.

As above, having your consumer unit changed will be safer, but get other quotes. You don’t need to use the same fella that did the inspection.

A tip for images…
I screenshot any photo I’m viewing, then crop off the extra screen. (iPhone) That brings the file size down enough for forum to accept.
You’ll have to edit it anyway to redact the personal details.
Everything was a tick or an N/A, other than under observations where the sole C2 was for the consumer unit. Thanks for the tip!

I thought he was joking about the 10 minutes.

That’s hardly enough time to boil the kettle for a cup of coffee….

And what’s with nothing above 2m tested? Health and safety not let him climb steps? Get a step stool or one of those little daleks that you saw in woolies in the 80’s.

This is a common generic statement you will see slotted into a lot of reports. Limitations should be agreed, this is a sneaky way of avoiding some tests.

As above, restrictions on height may well be reasonable (where agreed with the person ordering the work beforehand). However 2m does seem to be an extremely low height restriction.

Reply to How do I tell if my bathroom has supplementary bonding? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net