Discuss How essential is NVQ3 and AM2? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chronyx

Hi guys, I am just after a real-world view on these qualifications.

I have done the C&G 2330 and am doing the 2391 currently.

I am stuck with JTL in order to do the NVQ and AM2 and quite honestly am at my wit's end with being spoken to like a piece of ****. I also have enough private work to get by which I am unable to commit to due to needing to be employed in order to qualify for JTL.

It has reached the point where I don't care if I have to pay for themself, if it gets me out of my current situation. I feel so trapped that it is keeping me up at night.

See it through. If you have the level 3 2330 you must be well advanced with your portfolio. The last apprentice I had with JTL at that stage did not fully qualify until the following June of their 4th year. Being an old cynic I think it is to do with JTL getting their funding.

Sounds about right mate!

The pain with JTL is you can only sign off work done with the registered company, and as you say they take their time.

I've got two write-ups done, I'm just waiting for the on-site assessments and the AM2...but I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel! :)

I agree with rugbynick. I assume it is an apprenticeship you are employed on. We, whether an apprentice or not, have all had some of this treatment. Focus on the task ahead and get what you can out of the company. Experience tells me things will get better when you get out of your time. Peoples perceptions can change.

Yeah, I did have the thought I'd rather learn as much as possible on their time rather than mine!

But I'm human, and there's only so much I can take before I'd rather just walk away.

It's getting to the point where I dread going in, and life is too short for that.

Life is short but focus on your goal, you're 6-7 months away from completion. Leave without another employer and you will regret it. After January you won't even be able to register as a domestic installer without the NVQ3. I had a guy working for me a few years ago who hadn't completed his qualification. I paid him as a labourer and sent him back to college but despite the fact that he had the old part 1- the scheme had changed and the college couldn't/wouldn't match his previous qualifications with the 2330. with a bit of whinging he managed to get a year off the level 2. He did 2 years with me and finished the college part and the 17th edition but quit without completing the nvq and am2. He will never get the best money because he is not fully qualified! -Ride it out!

when my former company connaught went bust, there was around 20 electricians all good and knew there job in and out but none of these 20 or so people had proper qualifications and were just simply over looked by the next contractor that took the work on from the council and they only re employed people with full qualifications. Right or wrong its what happened and many of those 20 still havent found a permenant job today. So stick it through or you will regret it for ever and more.

Listen to the Lads above ^^^,

This is good advice, I only wish I had followed this path instead of following the money!

Now Iam older, and regret the missed opportunities, and now have to pay for my own education whilst trying to support a family, it gets no easier believe me

Reply to How essential is NVQ3 and AM2? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net